TMPGEnc DVD Author with DivX Authoring 3 problem

vbimport

Hello:

I have the TMPGEnc DVD Author with DivX Authoring 3 software but I’m unable to burn a DVD using a .AVI file.

Whenever I try to add the file in the Source section, an error apears saying “Could not open the video part of the file… Only the audio part can be opened”.

Does this sounds like a codec problem?

I don’t want to install another software that may take care of the problem because I would like to use only one for video editing.

I like this software and have been able to burn DVD movies fine in the past but now I am having problems with this particular file.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks,
Roberto

“.avi” can mean almost anything and can be any one of a couple dozen codecs. Chances are that this is some MPG-4 type codec and may be copy protected, or some other incompatibility.

You’ll want to find out what codec it is. There’s a number of free tools for that which can be found in the sticky threads here or by search.

Ok, I installed the following codec and the problem went away:

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Does this sounds like the movie is an xViD movie?

Which codec tool would you recommend me?

Thanks,
Roberto

Why do not you download GSpot(free), load the file in and see what type of codec is required.
If the file is mpg4 type you will have to convert to mpg2(DVD) unless your player can play DivX, but if file is coded in Xvid it may not work either.
Most people use ConvertXtoDVD software to make mpg2.

Ok, I ran GSpot and the video section says:

Codex: XVID
Name: XviD ISO MPEG-4

Is this OK?

I guess the file needed the XVID codec that I just installed.

Thanks

Yes, it is OK.
If you want to make DVD, you will have to convert, unless player is DivX compatible, but Xvid is not the same codec, so it may not work on DivX player.

Be aware that when converted from XVID to DVD-Video, the size of the program will increase hugely. Does TMPGEnc import the file OK now?

What do you mean by “the size of the program”. Which program?

You mean the file?

I’m just gonna let TMPGEnc to put the file on a blank DVD and see what happens tomorrow as according to TMPGEnc this process will take about 5 hours.

How do I know if my DVD player is DivX compatible?

[QUOTE=robertin75;2125185]
How do I know if my DVD player is DivX compatible?[/QUOTE]

Read the manual?

Are you creating a DVD-Video or a DIVX file?

I don’t have the DVD manual as my DVD player is very old (Sony).

Maybe I can try the web to see if I can find more info.

I want to create a DVD-Video so I can watch it on my home DVD player (Sony)

[QUOTE=robertin75;2125201]I don’t have the DVD manual as my DVD player is very old (Sony).

Maybe I can try the web to see if I can find more info.

I want to create a DVD-Video so I can watch it on my home DVD player (Sony)[/QUOTE]
Then what does it matter if your player handles DIVX? (It prolly doesn’t)
If you’re creating a DVD-Video, it’ll play on anything.

If your player is really old, than chances that is DivX compatible are slim, but it does not hurt to search the net for specs.