A Star Is Born (2018)
Halloween (2018)
Mary Queen of Scots
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Sicario
The Little Mermaid
Twilight

Also supported, apparently by MakeMKV:

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

I had not noticed before, but MakeMKV now supports something called LibreDrive, which apparently allows ripping to happen regardless of FW versions.

As a test, I ripped Dynasties tonight on my official UHD LG NS60 drive. Super cool!

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18856

Welcome to the club :wink:

yeah it is pretty cool. my LG wh16ns60 is now usable with makemkv. i have plenty of drives now. had bought three others as backups in case of failures

New to uhd ripping. Rather than reading nearly 3k posts (which I’m sure many are no longer relevant) can someone answer a couple questions, please?

1. Do I need both makemkv and deuhd for ripping? I use makemkv today, so would prefer to only use it if possible.

2. Is it still necessary to purchase one of a few specific blu-ray drives for uhd ripping? It sounds like with LiberDrive that I don’t need to get a uhd-friendly drive (or change firmware on an official uhd drive) to rip but since I won’t be watching bluray via anydvd (or similar) and simply want to rip blurays for playback on my plex server - I’m assuming it might be best to get a uhd-friendly drive like the LG wh16ns40 to save a little money. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, in most cases MakeMKV will be sufficient. The only caveat is that MakeMKV does not support AACS 2.1 of which there are currently two titles (Fury & The Patriot). DeUHD is capable of processing those titles and if you own those than it might be something to consider. On the plus side there have not been any new AACS 2.1 releases in nearly a year so hopefully studios have abandoned the idea.

As for drive support, I still recommend the use of ‘friendly’ drives, but LG’s NS60 drive is supported via LibreDrive. The advantage of using a ‘friendly’ drive is that in the event MakeMKV is problematic with a disc one of the alternative programs will continue to work.

Yep, Balthazar pretty much nailed it. A full list of LIbreDrive-supported drives and firmware versions is forthcoming. I believe all (or almost all) of the UHD-friendly drives are supported. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m told the LG WH16NS60 is supported too. I have a ten-year-old LG drive (can’t remember the model number) that reads HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. It isn’t supported. So, LibreDrive presumably sticks only to a particular set of drives and FW versions that are known to have the exploit.

As for AACS 2.1, yes, I’m guessing studios are passing on it. I hear it’s really expensive to add to titles. I’d imagine MakeMKV will support it if more titles ever come out.

Errrh why should your 10 year old LG HDDVD/BD drive be suported by LibreDrive, that drive will never ever be abel to read UHD discs

LibreDrive also applies to Blu-Rays (and DVDs, I assume). I was ripping a Blu at the time. When I ripped a different Blu on one of my UHD-friendly drives, LibreDrive was used.

Fantastic Beasts The Crimes Of Grindelwald (2018)
Green Book (2018)

Both out and supported.

Thanks a bunch for the responses. Very helpful!

DeUHD Update Movie List 20190304

Allegiant
Captain America: The First Avenger
Creed II
Divergent
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Green Book
Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Hunter Killer
Insurgent
Johnny English Strikes Again
No Limits
Schindler’s List
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
The Girl In The Spider’s Web
The House with a Clock in Its Walls

DeUHD already supports more than 2301 UHD discs!

Mortal Engines (2018)
Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

Both are out and supported.

Also supported:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
Ballon (2018) (DE)

DeUHD Updated Movies 20190311

A Quiet Place
Ballon
EVIL DEAD 2
Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloweeen
Hunter Killer
Mary Poppins Returns
Mortal Engines
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Girl In The Spider’s Web

Also supported:

Dog Soldiers (2002) (DE)

also Aquaman

NEW HASHED KEYS FROM MAKEMKV UPDATED: 19/3/19

Update from Mike:

Update: Starting from version 1.14.0 MakeMKV can read UHD discs using any BDXL-compatible LibreDrive drive - that includes most “official” and all “friendly” UHD drives.

DeUHD Movie updates 20190318

Aquaman
Dog Soldiers
Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch
First Man
Pitch Perfect
Un Ballo in Maschera