Tit or Tat?

I have a weak video graphics card. I want to edit and burn DVD from vhs. Am I better off getting a better video card and running a less expensive video capture card ORRRRRRR buying a more expensive capture card(plextor convertx px-m402u) with its own encoder(less work for my computer)?
hp pavilion XT 978
2.o pentium 4
512 mb sdram
100 gb hard drive
32 mb nVidia Geforce2 MX200
Nero 6

In general, hardware encoders are often considered better (less risk of dropped frames which can lead to audio sync issues). The capture card is more important that the graphics card.

Thanks for the response. I found a 256 mb capture card at frys and bought it. If I have issues with my pinnacle 500 or ads dvd express capture cards I will get an external encoding capture card. This movie making is a spendy bitch.

The pinnacle dv500 is a semi-professional (older) solution. It should do everything you could ever need it to do, as long as you use good software with it. I remember reading that the DV500’s can be a pain to get setup up, so make sure you check some of the forums, and the pinnacle web site. You have to install everything in an exact sequence in order to avoid issues. But that goes for quite a few of the semi-pro solutions.

I don’t have a dv500. It’s a 500-usb and only cost $80. I am returning it. It dropped 25% of the frames I’m trying to capture. I am shooting for a plextor m402u with external encoder. Man, this is starting to cost real money!

If you are capturing using USB, make sure that you have USB 2.0, and not USB 1.1. Also make sure that whatever device you get, supports USB 2.0.