Tired of paying for heat? Get a cloud server in your (german) home

vbimport

Original URL: https://www.cloudandheat.com/en/index.html#heating

The innovative heating system from Cloud&Heat Technologies GmbH involves a fireproof safety cabinet that is equipped with servers and installed in the building that is to be heated. With the computing process, the servers generate heat that is fed into a buffer tank. This tank supplies the hot water system and heats the domestic hot water. Additionally, via a centralised air handling system, the waste heat that is generated is used to heat the building.

Ecologically sustainable: The Cloud&Heat heating system converts the server heat into heating energy. The electricity for operating the servers comes exclusively from renewable sources.

Economically advantageous: Both the supply of energy and servicing and maintenance are free of charge for the user for a guaranteed minimum period. The costs of initial purchase are comparable to those for other heating systems.

Cloud&Heat Technologies GmbH is a provider of cloud-based computing services, with the waste heat produced by the servers also being used to heat buildings and water. The cloud servers are installed directly in the properties to be heated and connected to a virtual data centre via the Internet. This enables the company to ensure the highest standards of safety and security.

There is no need for the costly and energy-intensive cooling of servers that is required for a conventional data centre. Cloud&Heat thereby combines the markets for server computing power and heating intelligently and offers an efficient green tech alternative in both areas: the server-based heating solution reduces the environmental impact in the heating market, while in the steadily growing cloud computing market, computing power can be offered very cheaply. The contribution made by this interplay of ecological and economic advantages was recognised in 2013 with the Saxon Environmental Award as well as a placing among the finalists for the German Industry Innovation Award.

Not a single word about the noise though… :slight_smile:

“Could you mine some Bitcoins? I want to take a nice hot bath!” :slight_smile:

This is something similar to what I posted a month ago, with the exception that Qarnot places the actual servers in the rooms disguised as wall mounted ‘heaters’.

I’d imagine the “centralised air handling system” feature to have noise similar to a forced air furnace, like those typically installed in US homes. On the other hand, this probably would not retrofit well with homes warmed by radiators.

I wonder if they have a version that works with underfloor heating, as I think those systems only require a water temperature of 30C, which is more suited to cooling CPUs than the 55C to 70C required to heat radiator based central heating.