Tips and Tricks for a Newb to DVD Recording

vbimport

Hey all. I just received my Lite-on 166 and NEC 2500A and have them installed. I have some questions on optimal use and the various programs that I see floating around.

Now that I have the equipment installed, are there any other tasks that I should do before actually using them?

Should I stick with the stock firmware or upgrade to one of the others that are available on this board? Is there any particular firmware that is better than others? Is there a way to backup my existing firmware so I can store it somewhere safe.

What software is good for burning dvd’s whether it is for making backups or creating them?

What are regions and why do I only have a limited number of changes available to them? Are there ways to reset the region change count and will I even need to deal with that?

What are bits in regards to DVDs and why does this seem, from what I am reading, to be important?

What is DVD shrink?

Are there any settings I need to make on the drives to make them run more efficiently.

I am not sure if there is a FAQ anywhere that goes over these questions, but if there is, please let me know.

Thanks in advance. I have searched through the boards on some of these things, but it is hard to piece it all together through numerous different posts.

Found some of my answers here :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=92320

Back to reading

Also for what reason would i want to upgrade my firmware so it supports dual layer. Is that so I can fit everthing from a movie dvd onto a burned dvd?

Back to reading

I would burn a few dvd’s and make sure everything works and you’ve learned a little about burning DVD’s by actually burning them, before FLASHING the 2500a

DVD Shrink is a tool for compressing a DVD9 disc (DL) and making it fit on a DVD5 (SL) disc, very useful it is as well :slight_smile:

The rest of the info you’ll find in here by looking around the various threads

Great. When using dvdshrink is there a loss of quality because we are compressing it? I am assuming there is, but curious to know.

The quality is very good, if your going to include the xtra’s from your original DVD compress them a lot and compress the main movie as little as possible.

Find out more here

What about regions? Do i need to specify my region before I do some test copies? Or is regions only for playback?

if you would have followed the link provided or checked out the transcoding forums you would find that shrink can remove the region and macrovision.

please try and impress us all with your search abilities rather than just ask questions that are answered all over the place…

Do you know what impresses me? When people give constructive advice instead of acting in a condescending manner.

As a matter of fact I did go to that site, and nowhere does it mention region or macrovision in any of the text. When I download it and install it, it tells me my region is not set. The help for the program does not tell me anything as well. So your wrong, the link does not provide any answers to my questions.

And go to the transcoding forums? Why? I had no idea transcoding was even related to my question. Now I do, so at least i learned one thing from your comments.

I have searched the board about regions, and had to search off the board to really find out any info. Yet I still do not truly understand the best way to setup my player. I have a liteon 166S reader and NEC-2500 burner.

When I look at the properties of my liteon i see that it is set to region 1. How would I set it to region 0 and is that something I even want to do? There is no option under device manager properties for that device to set it to region free?

The problem with making statements like “impress us all with your search abilities” is that they provide no help at all to the person asking the question. I understand what regions are from searching, but there is no concrete explanation what my strategy should be in regards to regions, how i make my player region free or if I even want to ,etc…

So I for one am definitely not impressed with your answer.

For info on Region Free, look here.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239

Thank you I will read up on it

dudes, i copied MY OWN dvd using 321 studios, and the DVDs become regionfree…is this true?? well i got the reading from dvddecrypter…

PLease anyone…can u confirm me with this ???

in the dvd decrypter it says:

region: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - RCE Protection: No
Copyright Protection System Type : None

it’s called tough love.

As a matter of fact I did go to that site, and nowhere does it mention region or macrovision in any of the text. When I download it and install it, it tells me my region is not set. The help for the program does not tell me anything as well. So your wrong, the link does not provide any answers to my questions.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/how.html
listed on that page are the forums for dvdshrink and all sorts of guides in case you missed that.

And go to the transcoding forums? Why? I had no idea transcoding was even related to my question. Now I do, so at least i learned one thing from your comments.

thank heaven for small favors…

I have searched the board about regions, and had to search off the board to really find out any info. Yet I still do not truly understand the best way to setup my player. I have a liteon 166S reader and NEC-2500 burner.

When I look at the properties of my liteon i see that it is set to region 1. How would I set it to region 0 and is that something I even want to do? There is no option under device manager properties for that device to set it to region free?

nope nothing in device mangler since it is a function of the firmware and is required by the dvd forum but since you searched i bet you already saw this in the liteon forum (since it is a liteon reader)

6. -------------------------
LtnRPC (Region Free Utility)
This tool will remove the region restrictions from most LiteOn drives (so you can play any DVD regardless of region).

this is from the big tools sticky there

The problem with making statements like “impress us all with your search abilities” is that they provide no help at all to the person asking the question. I understand what regions are from searching, but there is no concrete explanation what my strategy should be in regards to regions, how i make my player region free or if I even want to ,etc…

nobody here is paid to spoonfeed you. these same questions are asked over and over. they are answered over and over… not being Sisyphus it is tiring to have this information demanded over and over.

and speaking truthfully search will find you threads where every one of your questions has been discussed fully to death.

good for you. actually now i feel like maximus --> “ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!”

oh you’re right. i MUST impress you so here are two impressive screens from dvdshrink that i am certain you might be interested in…

even funnier i was closing shrink and accidentally clicked on the first link in the help which is the doom9 page:

here talks about removing macrovision

and

here talks about region removal

impressed yet? if not i will try juggling.

two days without pain meds and counting…

I am entertained AND impressed by the patience and the accuracy of the response !
Have put some links in my bookmarks for the records.

Thanks clnson !

Here’s some constructive advice: Shut yer piehole and do a better job searching/reading.

Every question you’ve asked has answers available online, between here, www.dvdrhelp.com, and other resources. Every single question.

Regions, macrovision, compression, the whole nine yards.

It’s not condescending to tell you that. Condescending would be talking down to you; people are telling you flat-out that you’re being an ass.

I’m sure he really gives a shit.

Have a nice day. (<=== now THAT is condescending.)

Claw

It’s a beautiful here this morning in Florida. LOL. On the serious side, there were lots of times that I wanted to ask a question but I read FIRST. That’s the most important thing is to READ. The questions and the people that have responded to me on this forum have been nothing but stellar. I’m relatively a Newb at this and I think that in one way or another, I will always be a Newb. Just take the time and patience to read and utilize ALL of the links that are provided from tutorials to disc quality. Have a nice day.

No profanity/flaming/attacking other members allowed on the forums. :cop:

I wonder if I can say this without one of U jumping in n Pulling me to Pieces…Me Thinks That’s Impossible).Loads of Peeps poping in here (me included) R not as Brainy or Quick learning as some of U R…Loads of us R Slow at DVD, it’s not our Forte!..But we R trying to Learn…
Like Grinler, I was very Intimidated, Frustrated, n Scared if ya like over Loads of the Terms used in the Copying/Burning of DVDs…So we Ask U, The Brainy Ones to give us the Explanations in “Plain Simple EverDay English Terms” Translations…
We Do Not Ask For Crap like “Do a Search” etc., BECAUSE Most of Us DO DO A SEARCH, But we Do Not Always get the Answer We Want in a Plain Constructive Language…Now, If We Were All as Brainy n Quick Learning as U all Sound to Be, Then this Site Would Go To The DOGS in NO TIME…
It is the Questions by Newbies n Not so Newbies that Keep this Site Going…PLUS of Course, The Answers that Keep Comeing from U Lot…Keep Up the Good Work…
Loads of Newbies Do Not know about Macrovision n DVD Free etc., It does get confuseing to lots of Peeps…I for one did Not know that there were 3 ways of geting my DVD Writer DVD Free, n when I did do it, it went from 5 changes to 2 left…Now That is Frustrateing n Scary to Newbies…Just Stop n Think like a Newbie for a Change…
U All Do a VERY GOOD Job here…I THANK U for That…So PLEASE Do Not Spoil It!!

cnlson-----U be A Bit Sarcastic but Quite Helpfull…Well done…

Enumclaw-----QUOTE: >(Here’s some constructive advice: Shut yer piehole and do a better job searching/reading. )------<That was NOT Very Nice or Constructive was it!!! In Fact NOT VERY NICE EITHER!
n NO it’s not condescending either…You were just being Shity!!!
Now I’ve Droped to your Level, that’s Bad…

CHILL OUT for Gods Sake…Have a Nice Week All…

I’ve been discussing all sorts of things on the Internet (including CDs) for longer than anyone else here (just not at this particular site) and the one thing that I am most tired of hearing is people saying: " I’m tired of answering the same questions over and over ".
If you are tired of answering the same questions - then :eek: don’t :eek: .

There are countless threads here (and in every other Forum on the Net) with zero replies, yet people instead waste their time in saying over and over: " use the search function " .

Well most search functions on Forums are trash. And, even when they aren’t, the problem with being a newbie is that you don’t really know what to search for. If you searched here for “DVD-Shrink”, you get endless discussions of the small technical points that are only of concern to people who already have used the program for awhile.

A good example is the search I did when I first came here on comparisons of the ND-2500A and the 107D. The result of the search was dozens and dozens of messages arguing about whether the results of certain test software was valid. :rolleyes:

The actual productive activity would be to write a FAQ, and then when newbies post questions, simply post the link to your FAQ. FAQs are far more useful than searches. In fact, I’m surprised that no one pointed out the “Guides and Tutorials” Forum here.