TIP: How to flash yer BIOS safely

These boys have put together a nice little video to help avoid common mistakes
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=168&tag=nl.e101

:clap:

Here my take:

1. Get the right BIOS from the motherboard manufacture that matches your board type and revision.
  2. Don’t “Don’t” do anything when flashing BIOS-otherwise your asking for more problems when it fails.
  3. Follow the instructions provide by the program which they include that comes with the BIOS.
  4. Reboot.

I would add to that, if flashing through windows, to turn off the internet connection, and if overclocking to first clear the bios cmos and revert back to the stock bios configuration.

You can do it through Windows, but it’s better to do it before the OS is installed.

:cool::cool:

I never update my BIOS in windoze. Always with a floppy in DOS. To each their own.

[QUOTE=Bob;2120880]I never update my BIOS in windoze. Always with a floppy in DOS. To each their own.[/QUOTE]

I agree even though i use a flash drive. ASUS Maximus Formula motherboard BIOS are 2Mb in size.

I have read to many reports of people ‘bricking’ their motherboards by updating their BIOS in Windows…

NBK

That why I said it should be done before installing the OS.

:cool::cool:

the 2 times I’ve tried flashing through windoze its failed and corrupted the bios (2 different boards with everything done right, no oc, factory settings, etc) lucky for me a dos flash fixed both

floppy FTW! :bigsmile:

What’s a [I]floppy[/I]? :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t had a physical floppy drive in any of my computers bought later than 2001, but I do have a virtual floppy drive (VFD) and I know how to make bootable CD/DVDs and USB Flash Drives. :smiley:

I still have a 3.5 floppy and still use it…works wonders…I grew up with floppy and not going to shelf it anytime soon.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2121059]What’s a [I]floppy[/I]? :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t had a physical floppy drive in any of my computers bought later than 2001, but I do have a virtual floppy drive (VFD) and I know how to make bootable CD/DVDs and USB Flash Drives. :D[/QUOTE]

lol, I haven’t had a floppy installed since some time around 2003, I just plug it in when I need to flash (or when I find a box of old arse, poorly labeled floppies and need to figure out whats on them :doh:)… I tried using a bootable cd to flash my current board and it wouldn’t work :frowning:

I always say to people that think you dont need a floppy drive any more, for the cost and ability they have, I think your silly not to have one.

I have saved so many peoples computers over the years with a floppy drive and my supadupa box of disks full of tools and loads of MBR’s for a quick fix, but then if you have a floppy you can keep copies of them yourself, and because its at such a low level often works when other things dont, and without the drivers needed like with CD or USB.

All that for less than £5 quid, makes me think how hard I worked and saved up for my first pair of five and a quater, DSDD 800k Winchesters they cost me a £1 per K !!!

Bob, the flash procedure varies from 1 mobo to another. I’ve seen some that recommend flash from floppy, but my latest MSI update instructed to save update to folder on hard drive to flash from there and warned not to flash from floppy. I’m unsure whether flash from floppy would have bad results, but I followed MSI instructions.