Tiny Patch Cuts Firefox 4's Startup Time in Half

vbimport

“The 20-line patch works by preloading Firefox’s XML Markup Language (XUL) library. Whereas previously that library was loaded in chunks of 32KB or less, the patch works by “tricking” Windows into preloading the library in 2MB increments instead, Mozilla developer Taras Glek explained recently on Mozilla’s Bugzilla forum”

I’m not much of a FF user but I’m guessing this patch/update is automatic? Has any FF user noticed a marked improvement in startup time?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2571484]“The 20-line patch works by preloading Firefox’s XML Markup Language (XUL) library. Whereas previously that library was loaded in chunks of 32KB or less, the patch works by “tricking” Windows into preloading the library in 2MB increments instead, Mozilla developer Taras Glek explained recently on Mozilla’s Bugzilla forum”

I’m not much of a FF user but I’m guessing this patch/update is automatic? Has any FF user noticed a marked improvement in startup time?[/QUOTE]

Well considering it not released yet I would wait and see the final results to really see what it can and can’t do?

The Firefox 4.0 Beta 10 is out I have been using it for a few days now and yes
it is quite a bit faster than IE8 / 9 or even Firefox 3.6.13 on loading it loads in
about 1.5 seconds home page and all. :clap: :clap: :clap:

[QUOTE=getit29;2571584]The Firefox 4.0 Beta 10 is out I have been using it for a few days now and yes
it is quite a bit faster than IE8 / 9 or even Firefox 3.6.13 on loading it loads in
about 1.5 seconds home page and all. :clap: :clap: :clap:[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Might have to give this new beta a try.