Time to rip a blu-ray title

vbimport

I’m using DVDFab’s Blu-ray Copy in Full Disc for the first time and a new blu-ray drive to copy The Hurt Locker.
It seems that this is taking a very long time so I am suspicious. How long should a blu-ray disc take to copy using full disc. Not sure what my drive is rated at for read speed off hand (much slower when ripping of course) but wondered roughly how long it should take when compared to a DVD that usually takes 10-15 minutes to rip. ?? Thanks

It depends on whether you’re compressing or not and also on your hardware.

For starters though Blu-rays can contain up to 50GB depending on the number of layers which is very much more than DVD so the amount of data alone automatically means it will take longer to rip.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It took 2 hours and 15 seconds to rip The Hurt Locker to the hard drive. Process completed successful according to DVDFab.

Is that a normal sort of time. I have a Phenom II Quad in a new PC and I did compress to one of the default settings in DVDFab, around 25G??

Just wanted a reasonable range so I can tell if this is working as it should or if I should be concerned something is wrong.

That sounds normal to me since you’re compressing as well.

There’s an awful lot of data there and it therefore takes a longer time to process compared to DVD.

[B]Wombler[/B]

rip Full disc to computer with no compression as that would take about 15 minutes with your computer. Then use that saved rip to compress to BD25 as it will cut your time down by half if you do this way instead of from the Blu-ray disc.

[QUOTE=AGJ;2548066]rip Full disc to computer with no compression as that would take about 15 minutes with your computer. Then use that saved rip to compress to BD25 as it will cut your time down by half if you do this way instead of from the Blu-ray disc.[/QUOTE]

Wow 15 minutes seems amazingly fast, especially for 50GB. :eek:

What Blu-ray drive do you have?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=gs47;2547941]I’m using DVDFab’s Blu-ray Copy in Full Disc for the first time and a new blu-ray drive to copy The Hurt Locker.
It seems that this is taking a very long time so I am suspicious. How long should a blu-ray disc take to copy using full disc. Not sure what my drive is rated at for read speed off hand (much slower when ripping of course) but wondered roughly how long it should take when compared to a DVD that usually takes 10-15 minutes to rip. ?? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I used to rip DVD movies in 4.7GB compressed and also into 8.5GB dual-layer and it can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes to rip to hard drive and then to disc. I have not ripped DVDs in a long time since I have switched to blu-ray and HD recently. I HAVE used DVDFab for DVD movies though. I have no blu-ray burner yet in my PC. However, it will probably take quite a while and taking 2h15m is not unusual for 50GB which is about 6 times the size of a dual-layer DVD.

What are you system specs - CPU, video card, RAM, motherboard and what OS are you using?

My average for a 15 to 23 gig is 25 minutes

Quad core CPU with 4 GB Ram Win 7 Ult 64bit system with a GTX460 video card

[QUOTE=Wombler;2548111]Wow 15 minutes seems amazingly fast, especially for 50GB. :eek:

What Blu-ray drive do you have?

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I’ve never timed how fast but will try it out and let you know but the BD reader I have is a LG CH10LS20. It has a 10x max reading speed for BD and the 15 minutes was more the lower time to rip a BD and the longer time would be closer to 25 minutes and this without compression or burning.

Would be a lot longer if Compression was involved

[QUOTE=AGJ;2553360]I’ve never timed how fast but will try it out and let you know but the BD reader I have is a LG CH10LS20. It has a 10x max reading speed for BD and the 15 minutes was more the lower time to rip a BD and the longer time would be closer to 25 minutes and this without compression or burning.

Would be a lot longer if Compression was involved[/QUOTE]

Ah right, that’s more in line with what I’ve usually heard.

Thought I was missing out there and could feel an upgrade coming on. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Found this in the search. My blu-ray’s are taking a lot longer than 2 hours. Copying The Hunger Games now, took 6 hours to analyze, now it’s saying it will take another 4 hours to copy. I did Battle Los Angeles the other day and it seemed like it took about 7 to 8 hours. I set them to compress down to 25G and it still takes a long time.

Is this normal? Or is there a way to speed it up?

[QUOTE=kendvp;2651495]Found this in the search. My blu-ray’s are taking a lot longer than 2 hours. Copying The Hunger Games now, took 6 hours to analyze, now it’s saying it will take another 4 hours to copy. I did Battle Los Angeles the other day and it seemed like it took about 7 to 8 hours. I set them to compress down to 25G and it still takes a long time.

Is this normal? Or is there a way to speed it up?[/QUOTE]

It took me a little over two hours to do rips of my Blu Ray discs to an external hard drive, but first copying the raw files to my hard drive then making a rip from there.

Are you using an old computer or something? Or an older Blu Ray drive? I would think it would take quite awhile since you’re taking a Blu Ray - which can be anywhere up to 50GB, and compressing it down inside of 25GB. That’s a lot of information to process.