Time to replace my Pioneer DVR-216D

vbimport

Haven’t been on here since this place was CDFreaks - it’s good to be back. :slight_smile:

So, I really wish there would be a ‘best of’ list again. I used to always buy the best burner of the day on that list - now it’s very hard to find out what’s good besides digging through lots of forum discussions. Heck, even a ‘best of’ in each brand would be good.

I’m looking for a really high quality DVD data burner to replace my reliable Pioneer DVR-216D. All I’m looking for is very good burn quality (I tend to do +R archive/backups with my DVD burner), and decent read/scan speed for ripping the odd DVD that I want to watch later. My last purchase criteria was the quality of the burn on a good variety of media (but needs to be good on TY’s). Don’t need lots of other features. Litescribe would be nice, but not necessary.

Seems like Pioneer quality dropped recent(?) and the Lite-On’s are the way to go(?). Is there a good burner for me that produces pretty PI graphs with low errors?

Thanks guys!

Welcome back! :slight_smile:

I completely agree, a return of the “Best Drives” polls, either one main one or one in each brand forum (the second option would help people narrow it down, if they were drawn to a particular brand), would be excellent, as I’m not as up to speed as perhaps I should be these days :wink:

If you’re wanting a drive that’ll scan, unless you already have one, then I’d say a (MediaTek chipset) LiteOn would be good. The MediaTek chipset drives I have (mostly Samsung, but one LiteOn too) are generally good rippers as well.

I see Optiarc drives recommended a lot around here for burning, although the last Optiarc I acquired was the older 5170S (which is a great drive though) - so maybe take a look in the Optiarc forum to see which one is the most recommended?

The guys who have the Samsung SH-S243N praise it quite a lot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151216

The Optiarc 7240s has been a solid choice now for a year or more.

These are good drives on quality of writing. I have the Optiarc, and it is a decent drive, but I don’t trust it for quality scans.