Time to move away from optical backup?

I have plenty of discs that have gone bad or are going bad. Some very recently.

Isn’t it time we moved away from a dye based optical media recording system to something more reliable. More compact. Faster. As economical or even cheaper and easier to use?

I sure hope something comes along soon.

What technology would you suggest?

We had (and still have) magnetic media, now we have optic media…would you like to go back to chisel and stone…that will be preserved for millions of years (unless you lay it outside and let it be subject to acid rain :wink: )?

/gs.

As a matter of fact, there are some far-superior storage methods known… problem is, they are still in the labs.

I’ve read about all kinds of solidstate devices, storing light in xtals etc etc… someday… :wink:

There are plenty of companies who still use tapes…One place I used to work for use a cd burner to back up on a re-writable

Originally posted by cloakdoa
There are plenty of companies who still use tapes…One place I used to work for use a cd burner to back up on a re-writable

Actually, tapes are still very modern. Last year I visited a Dutch exhibition (TINE) and there were quite some companies showing their latest backup solutions. Most of them were based on tapes (some of them had quite some capacity, like a couple of terabytes or so).

For the home user, tapes aren’t all that interesting… (although I’d like to have a good tape system)…

To my knowledge, all companies specializing in back ups for businesses use only tapes …