Time for burning at 48X

Hi,

I want to buy a 48X CD Writer.

How much time will it take to burn a 650MB ISO file ??

The CDR Medium is also 48X Certified.

Probably I will buy ASUS 48X. Any problems with this drive ?

Bye.

As can be read in this review:

We can tell you that a write time of about 3 minutes and 4 seconds is in between the write times of a 40X and 48X recorder as expected.

It does, however, depend on what write method is used. If you search this forum on ‘Z-CLV’ and ‘CAV’ I think you will find the explanations of several write methods

It also depends on how fast you pc is. No-one ever seems to mention that. If you wish to burn at 48 speed you need a pc that can supply data that fast. I have a 1gig Ath and wondered why my 40 speed drive wasn’t much quicker than the 12x I took out.

Originally posted by DaneR
It also depends on how fast you pc is. No-one ever seems to mention that. If you wish to burn at 48 speed you need a pc that can supply data that fast. I have a 1gig Ath and wondered why my 40 speed drive wasn’t much quicker than the 12x I took out.

Usually that is because most PCs nowadays should be able to supply the data fast enough, but it indeed depends on both your hardware as well as your software.

The more programs you run in the background, themore PC power is consumed and the less likely it is for the PC to achieve its maximum data transfer.

Hi,

I have a athlon 1.7 Ghz, 256 DDR & 40 GB Barracudda 7200 RPM HDD.

How much time will it take to write @ 48X for this config.

Bye.

Hi,

Look at this :

Sony ups the ante again for high performance CD burning with its new 40X CD-RW drive. The CRX195A1 can create a full CD-R disc in less than 3 minutes, and features advanced buffer underrun protection technology. CD-RW speed has been increased to a speedy 12X max., and CD-ROM reading speed is a blazing 48X max.! The CRX195A1 comes complete with software and accessories to get you up and burning CDs quickly. Works with Microsoft® Windows 98SE/2000, Windows® Millennium Edition, and the Windows® XP Home and Professional operating systems.

SONY claims that it can burn a 700MB CDR in less than 3 minutes @ 40X - is that true ???

Then 48X should me much faster…

Hi,

One more :

ASUS CRW-4816A Drive

The ASUS CRW-4816A delivers cutting edge CD-RW performance with innovative P-CAV (partial constant angular velocity) writing strategy. The result is ultimate reliability and performance for music compilation, data backups and smooth audio playback. And of course, ASUS patented technologies such as FlextraLinkâ„¢, FlextraSpeedâ„¢, DDSS II and AI auto-speed adjustment are also available in this top-quality optical drive to allow 16X/48X re/writing speeds.

Product Features

Multi-Functions: 48X Write/16X Rewrite/48X Read

P-CAV (partial constant angular velocity) Writing Strategy

FlextraLinkâ„¢ Buffer Underrun Errors Prevention Technology

FlextraSpeedâ„¢ Optimal Writing Speed Adjustment Technology

Superior Stability with DDSS II (2nd Generation Double Dynamic Suspension System)

Swift Data Recording: Burn a Full 650MB CD in 2 1/2 Minutes

High-Speed DAE (Max. 48X) and VCD Data Extraction supported

Mt. Rainier Supported

ASUS also claims it can burn a 650MB CD in about 2 minutes 30 seconds !!!

Woooo ~!!!

Look here.

heheheh.

now since 48X are available I was again opening out my option.

PEACE

Originally posted by DaneR

It’s not only how fast, and a 1 gig Athalon should be plenty fast, it’s the total configuration: mobo, other perif’s, RAM, but also how the drives are configured on the system (i.e. master or slave).

I got an ABIT mobo with RAID because it has a total of 4 independent I/O channels. I have two HDs and one sweet ASUS 48x CD/RW drive and they are all on their own channel and are master devices.

Ken:rolleyes:

the difference between 40 and 48 is marginal…perhaps 40 seconds.

read more about CAV, CLV etc etc as it explains what speed each writer writes at what parts of the disk.

The reviews I do for CD Freaks are being done on an Athlon 700MHz machine. Burning at 48X is no problem. Heck I just wrote thee discs simultaneously at 24X without a problem. Your hard disk is very important too and so is the rest of the system. The difference between Z-CLV and CAV are explained here.

Originally posted by Huzzy
the difference between 40 and 48 is marginal…perhaps 40 seconds.

I would say the differences can’t hardly be higher than 10 seconds… The differences between 24 sp and 40 sp writers is approxiamately 40 seconds.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

I would say the differences can’t hardly be higher than 10 seconds… The differences between 24 sp and 40 sp writers is approxiamately 40 seconds. [/B]

agree !

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

I would say the differences can’t hardly be higher than 10 seconds… The differences between 24 sp and 40 sp writers is approxiamately 40 seconds. [/B]

When I looked on www.pricewatch.com for the pricing of the Asus 40 vs the 48 I found only a few dollars difference in price, too, so I got my 48x for $78.00 (total, USD)m just two weeks ago.

While I had read on this board the difference is not much, and the 40x is supposedly quieter, I opted for the 48x because the price was so close. Just my thinking on the matter.

Regards,

Ken :bow:

Burning a 650 MB ISO image should take 2 minutes or so.

Consider the Lite-On 48x instead of Asus 48x.

Look at the review of Asus on CDRlabs.com

It has some problems.

I am a satisfied owner of my new litey.

Originally posted by darshanjog
Consider the Lite-On 48x instead of Asus 48x.
Look at the review of Asus on CDRlabs.com
It has some problems.
I am a satisfied owner of my new litey.

I tend to disagree…taken from CDRLABS
Liteon 48x cons :
Lows:
Loud when reading and writing CD’s.
The writing quality is questionable with some media.
Higher than normal CPU usage when reading CD’s.
Has a 1984KB buffer.
The drive created a lot of errors when extracting audio from scratched and dirty CD’s.
The documentation needs to be better.

Asus 48x Lows :
Poor writing quality.
Slower than some of the other 48x writers currently available.
*The drive’s tray does not close easily when pushed.
*Very loud when reading and writing.
*Has only a 2048KBbuffer.
The seek times are a little higher than the competition.
*The drive has a maximum CD-RW read speed of only 32x.
*16x CD-RW media is hard to find right now.

The ones marked with a * are questionable.
A)The tray has a button, that is the method of closing/ opening tray…its not a design fault.

B) Noise is a byproduct of speed, if you write at 40x it will sound the same as a 40x. its not a noisier drive

C) Buffer is still larger than the liteon, and its not really needed with UDMA33 and buffer underrun.

D) CDRW disks are notorious for poor quality, that is there nature, i would not want to read a CDRW any higher than that.

E) this is barely a drawback. patience is all thats required.

I’m sure this has nothing to do with your system speed…its your setting do you have DMA enabled? Check out my post.

It’s not only how fast, and a 1 gig Athalon should be plenty fast, it’s the total configuration: mobo, other perif’s, RAM, but also how the drives are configured on the system (i.e. master or slave).

How does a drive set to a slave or master affect the speed? That is, unless both devices are being used at once on the same channel.

1X == 150 KB/s
Take that as an idealized perfect speed.

Originally posted by pps111
[B]Hi,

I want to buy a 48X CD Writer.

How much time will it take to burn a 650MB ISO file ??

The CDR Medium is also 48X Certified.

Probably I will buy ASUS 48X. Any problems with this drive ?

Bye. [/B]

I gave my opinion after reading the Asus 48x review.

Also, In my part of the world people stay away from Asus.

Know a couple of people who had Asus burners & died within warranty period.

Regarding the Lite-On 48x Cons:

1. Its the quietest drive I had ever owned.
  2. It has 2048 KB buffer
  3. Don’t know about write quality, all my burnt CDs are read fine in all CD-ROMs.
  4. Don’t know about extracting audio but, reads scratched CDs very very fine, even better than LG 52x in some cases.
  5. If you have this forum at hand don’t think there is any need for documentation.

This FORUM rockz.