Time Capsule and Windows 7 WIFI Connection

vbimport

Hi ,

I have apple time capsule and HP laptop (having windows 7-64 bit with 802.11 bgn Adapter) is connected to it. I have noticed that WIFI connection speed is only 72.0 Mbps even though i am sitting right in front of it. I have tried to move time capsule to different locations to avoid interference and disconnecting all other WIFI devices but still i am getting 72.0 Mpbs connection speed.

Is there any way that i can optimize windows 7 to have better connection speed ?

Specs: HP ProBook 450 G2, Windows 7, i7-5500@2.4GHZ 8GB , 1 TB HDD(54K)

For 802.11n, you have a choice of 20MHz or 40MHz Channel Width.

With the 1x1 (1 transmit antenna, 1 receiver antenna) WiFi setup for all variants of the ProBook 450 G2, this means that you get 72 Mbps maximum in 20MHz mode, or 150 Mbps maximum in 40MHz mode. (With other devices with more antennas, & with a compatible router, you’d get double that speed or more as the max possible).

Assuming the 802.11b/g/n card used for your ProBook configuration can connect with a 40MHz-wide N channel, you have to set the Time Capsule up with a 40 MHz-wide channel.

But, as Apple describes in its documents (and as is the case for all WiFi devices), a wider channel allows for more interference, so you may not see any gains in terms of effective connection speed if you switch to the 40 MHz setting.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771703]For 802.11n, you have a choice of 20MHz or 40MHz Channel Width.

With the 1x1 (1 transmit antenna, 1 receiver antenna) WiFi setup for all variants of the ProBook 450 G2, this means that you get 72 Mbps maximum in 20MHz mode, or 150 Mbps maximum in 40MHz mode. (With other devices with more antennas, & with a compatible router, you’d get double that speed or more as the max possible).

Assuming the 802.11b/g/n card used for your ProBook configuration can connect with a 40MHz-wide N channel, you have to set the Time Capsule up with a 40 MHz-wide channel.

But, as Apple describes in its documents (and as is the case for all WiFi devices), a wider channel allows for more interference, so you may not see any gains in terms of effective connection speed if you switch to the 40 MHz setting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Albert :slight_smile:

Now i am thinking that i should use my older Cisco N Router 2.4 GHZ with 40 MHZ channel for HP laptop and connect mac book pro, apple tv and iphone 6s with time capsule. Do you think it can improve network performance ?

I cannot say for sure. But it is worth a test. :slight_smile:

Be sure to test the real speed in real-world use. It may say “connected at 72 Mbps” or similar, but real world speeds may be lower with different routers.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771706]I cannot say for sure. But it is worth a test. :slight_smile:

Be sure to test the real speed in real-world use. It may say “connected at 72 Mbps” or similar, but real world speeds may be lower with different routers.[/QUOTE]

Well i have tested different laptops on my old router and results are confusing for me :frowning:

Test 1: Change router setting to 40 MHZ and connect HP laptop. Result is 150 Mpbs :slight_smile:

Test 2: Connect to another router that supports both 20 MHZ & 40 MHZ with my HP laptop and with friends Dell laptop (having same kind of specs). Result is that Dell connects with 150 Mpbs but HP laptop connects with 70 Mbps :frowning:

I compared WIFI adapter setting for both laptops and find out that HP laptop has two options:

1. 20 MHZ
  2. Auto (for bandwidth it was something like 20_40_Mhz )

Results are same even after updating WIFI drivers …

So is there any way to modify WIFI driver to have 3rd option ??

I know you say your friend’s Dell and your HP have similar specs, but I must ask: Which Dell is it?

And what is the make & model of the router you used in Test 2?

It may be that the HP had a weak connection, so you cannot force anything better than 70 Mbps. This is especially true if there are other networks around.

No, I don’t think there’s a way to change the drivers. I don’t think you need it.

Test REAL data throughput to see if 20 MHz or 40 MHz makes a difference. Just because it says 150 Mbps sometimes, does not mean it really performs that much better.