TigerDirect sold off

vbimport

PCM, formerly known as PC Mall, has bought the last remnants of TigerDirect. For those not in the US, TigerDirect was at one time one of the best known online shops for computer equipment in the US. I was always wary of them, due to their less than stellar rep regarding rebates, but I did order from them once with no issues.

TigerDirect is closing their last three retail outlets and their distribution center in the deal, so I’m not sure what PCM is buying for their 14 million dollars. Story here: http://www.twice.com/news/retail/tigerdirect-sold-pcm/59501

PC parts suppliers are slowly falling away. We’ll soon be left with Amazon and Newegg at this rate.

A shame really, bigger does not necessarily means better from a consumer’s point of view, the more the merrier should be the encore, but it is not reality… Sadly.

TigerDirect owns the CompUSA and CircuitCity brands. They must be worth something.

PC Mall is one of the worst companies on the planet. I wouldn’t buy a glass of water from them if my hair was on fire. I bet Microcenter takes a dive if PC Mall starts dictating their marketing strategy.

I have bought from them on a regular bases , have had no issues here, almost always got my purchase next day, which I really liked.

currently have something on BACKORDER which is a FAR item… I’m NOT optimistic they will ship it in time for this to actually BE a rebate deal… so I may have to cancel it…
It will be a sad day when the only places you can buy PC parts are from companies which are publically traded on Wall Street. What will that say about the prices you end up having to buy for…?

As it stands, the pc biz is in a precipise of a bust cycle…
the looming standards of ddr4, 4k video cards (dx12), usb 3.1, and new pci-e 3.0 aren’t going to be enough to spur mass upgrade adoption, espeically if these stock market beholden companies price gouge the pc parts biz.

[QUOTE=bean55;2763688]I have bought from them on a regular bases , have had no issues here, almost always got my purchase next day, which I really liked.[/QUOTE]

I have never purchased from PC Mall and never will. My disgust for them comes from how the owners treat their employees. This is based on personal knowledge of real life situations with past and present employees of this company and their subsidiaries.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2763646]PC parts suppliers are slowly falling away. We’ll soon be left with Amazon and Newegg at this rate.[/QUOTE]
Not where I am at, I still have a good local electronics Warehouse computer seller that can still match Amazon/Newegg prices and it’s not BestBuy.

TigerDirect used to have good deals. They were slowly outcompeted.

They still sell on Ebay and Amazon. I got a couple of Phalenks PWM fans from them for a very good price.:wink:

I think there is room to expand sales to ship to store in BIG BOX co-marketing with a Target, Radio Shack or others… instead they’ve gone the EBAY route…
I’ve had mixed issues with some ebay sellers selling low quality products… and/or not honoring an auction price. After the TD rebate fiasco, I broke down and went to MicroCenter to buy the external usb 3.0 enclosure. Now I’m waiting on a decent router deal to make better use of it… such as an AC 1750 router for ~$50 - $65