Tidal adds 24-bit 96kHz master-quality streaming to its HiFi plan

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Tidal adds 24-bit 96kHz master-quality streaming to its HiFi plan[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2017/01/Tidal-Masters-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Tidal is the first service to start offering master quality audio recordings through its Tidal HiFi subscription service.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/tidal-adds-24-bit-96khz-master-quality-streaming-hifi-plan-81195/](http://www.myce.com/news/tidal-adds-24-bit-96khz-master-quality-streaming-hifi-plan-81195/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If it wasn’t recorded originally at 24/96 it’s not HD audio no matter what bit bucket they put it in so it’s not going to sound ant better then CD quality recordings and the file will be bigger for no gain at all.

Yeah, reality check: If it’s lossy compressed then its not “master quality” anyway.

After trying the Tidal for a few weeks (30 day trial), I’ve decided to cancel it over its app.

Initially when I installed the app, it kept throwing up authorisation errors. When I tried downloading songs for offline playback, it told me it could not authorise my phone for offline playback. I then tried the ‘Authorise this device’ option and it told me it is already authorised and finally when I tried deauthorising it, it said it could not deauthorise the device.

So I contacted their technical support and they came back saying to log out and log back in and that seemed to do the trick and lasted until about a week ago.

Now when I listen to music in the app, the first song will play fine and the next song blares out like a very heavily overloaded amplifier. I tried several troubleshooting steps including clearing the app cache, etc. but ended up with the same blaring noisy audio once a track ended. It sure gave me a jump the first time it happened while I had headphones on! :eek:

So it’s back to Google Music, especially with the 4 month trial period which it surprisingly let me avail of despite cancelling my subscription just a few weeks ago. It also has its bugs and not quite high fidelity, but at least does not throw up authorisation error nonsense or try deafening me when it goes wrong.

For anyone with high end audio equipment, don’t try connecting your phone/tablet to it with the Tidal app as I’m fairly sure blaring clipping noise and high end audio gear don’t mix well… :disagree:

I think it’s cool companies are offering lossless formats, but I’m finding I’m pretty happy with CD quality Flac.  I used a fairly high end portable player (fiio x3) and regular FLAC sounds pretty good on it. Higher Quality Flac seems to not make much of a difference for me.

With the storage solutions of the 20th century we should abolish lossy formats, but cd quality flac is great. If I want something better I spin vinyl at home :slight_smile: