TI-83 Plus Programming

Just got a new TI-83 Plus graphing calc. It does just about everything.

Anyway, i was trying to write a program that would allow you to select a list, select a number, and multiply that number to everything in the list. Then have it store the answers as another list I got it to do all but save. Here’s my code:

:Disp "Select a list
:Input A
:Disp "Select a number to x by
:Input B
:(A*B)=C
:
:Stop
:End

Pretty simple but I can’t figure out the command for the missing line. I tried Output(L2 or store L2 with no luck. It doesn’t really matter which list it outputs to, as long as it doesn’t overwrite anything.

TIA

I used to be pretty good at programming on my TI-86, but things are different between the 86 and the 83. I really don’t understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to have the user enter two numbers, then multiply the two and display the number on the screen? that’s what your program looks like to me. If you are working with a list and you want all numbers in the list to be multiplied by a number, then you should use a for loop. There might actually be a command to do this, but IDK. read your manual, it is a great resource.

If you are working with a list and you want all numbers in the list to be multiplied by a number, then you should use a for loop.

yes that is what im talking about.

I would read the manual if i had one. All that came with mine (Ti-83+ SE) was a quick start guide. I did some searching but couldn’t find what i was looking for.

I have programmed a lot on a TI-80, and I don’t think there is a big difference between a 80 and 83 in coding.

I think you want to do this:

(must be set before you run programor before the code: L1=1,5,6,7,1,3,2 L2=5,3,4 etc. etc.)

Disp "Select a list
Input A
Disp "Select a number to x by
Input B
if A=1:goto 1
if A=2:goto 2
if A=3:goto 3
if A=4
etc. etc.

[B]1->C

lbl 1
L1©*B->L8©
if C=dim(L1):goto A[/B] (u can find “dim” under the list-button)[B]
C+1->C
goto 1

lbl 2
L2©*B->L8©
if C=dim(L2):goto A
C+1->C
goto 2

lbl 3
L3©*B->L8©
if C=dim(L3):goto A
C+1->C
goto 3

lbl4[/B] etc. etc.

lbl A
Whatever…

:slight_smile: tell me if it worked :wink:

if all you wanna do is print to screen, its
disp C

of course, since not all lists are full - you’d have to have a null conditional check of some kind after the ‘select list’ - im not sure how a ti83+ is setup to handle calls on a null object. probably badly.

thinking in a strictly higher level sense…
(sorry, pseudocode)
get list number from user
get multiplier number from user
location=0
lbl 1
while(list[location]!=null)
{
list[location]*number
increment location
}
goto 1

the ti 83 manual is excellent in helping turn pseudo into reality - its basically BASIC :wink:

I noticed a faild in the code:

1->C must be placed before if A=1:goto 1

thanks a lot Buba, did exactly what i needed.:bow:

@ckin2001:

the ti 83 manual is excellent in helping turn pseudo into reality - its basically BASIC

i didn’t get a manual with my calc:(. But i did find my cd, which has the manual in pdf:Z. Anyway, it didn’t tell me anything useful

good deal - i thought, you know, since you didnt have a manual, you could borrow one from a friend :wink:

well ive got it working good except now, when i want to select a list with letters, such as, LIST, it doesn’t work. How do i incorporate into the code a label or something that will allow me to select alpha lists and perform the same operation? Maybe a way to copy the contents of and alpha list to a numerical list, then perform the operation.

And by alpha and numerical i strictly mean the names of them. Such as LIST and L6 respectivly.

i can’t seem to figure out whats described in my last post. Any ideas?

I think that’s impossible for a TI.

Dont know if its possible on the newer version TI-83, but I know that with a TI-80 u can only select a list by L#.

it might be possible if i used assembly, but id have to do some reading on that, and i really don’t want to have to learn asm just for this program. Plus, im too lazy to compile it.:slight_smile:

I want some help a complete program really.
On adding random odd numbers in a matrix to random even numbers in a matrix.
1+1=2=ODD+EVEN=ODD
2+2=4 is the opposite 2ODD+ 2 EVEN= 4 EVEN.
If one matrix is matter and one is energy.
Then if odd is matter and even is energy.
Then 2 ENERGY+2 MATTER= 4 ENERGY.
The question is how does this affect process theories view of TIME/SPACE.
As it’s view of time space is generated by multilplying random matrices.
This could be a handy tool to use in process physics.
If you believe 2 ROTATATIONAL KINETIC ENERGY= 2 M* 2 C SQUARED.
If two is right for E=MCSquared.
Then the opposite 1 is wrong.
Stephen.
DR HOW TO FAIL AT COLLEGE.

what are you talking about and why did you have to resurrect a 3 and a half year old thread to talk about it?

The poster obviously has developed a theory in support of the Space-Time Continuum hypothesis…or has access to some really good drugs…

Mathematicians do it smoothly and continuously /.