Thumb drives stopped working

vbimport

I have two 4 GB thumb drives that I have a lot of programs on like CUPID, partition master, etc. Both, when I plug them into a USB port, will not open. A message says the drives need formatting. This happens in any of the four computers in my office.

Question? Since I have been using these drives to access these programs when needed, why have they suddenly stopped working and the computers say the drives need to be formatted? Is there any way to get the drives to open? If not, is there any way to access the data on the drives and place the data on another drive. I really don’t want to go to the effort of downloaded every program again if I can help it. Thanks.

A few hours left to grab this https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/raise-data-recovery-6-7-1/
Might be worth a try, though it’s not specifically a flash recovery tool

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2779864]I have two 4 GB thumb drives that I have a lot of programs on like CUPID, partition master, etc. Both, when I plug them into a USB port, will not open. A message says the drives need formatting. This happens in any of the four computers in my office.

Question? Since I have been using these drives to access these programs when needed, why have they suddenly stopped working and the computers say the drives need to be formatted? Is there any way to get the drives to open? If not, is there any way to access the data on the drives and place the data on another drive. I really don’t want to go to the effort of downloaded every program again if I can help it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]if these were formatted using linux or Apple Operating system Windows will not reconise them and Vice versa and will need to be reformatted or used in the correct Operating system they were orginally used in to be able for the computer to read them.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2779864]I have two 4 GB thumb drives that I have a lot of programs on like CUPID, partition master, etc. Both, when I plug them into a USB port, will not open. A message says the drives need formatting. This happens in any of the four computers in my office.

Question? Since I have been using these drives to access these programs when needed, why have they suddenly stopped working and the computers say the drives need to be formatted? Is there any way to get the drives to open? If not, is there any way to access the data on the drives and place the data on another drive. I really don’t want to go to the effort of downloaded every program again if I can help it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Since no one knows what kinda USB drives they were no one can really give much help here. USB drives sometimes just fail that is the nature of electronic device some last forever some just fail. That is why you need to have backup of backup that isn’t used just for backup so when something like this happens you are the only one to blame for the mistake and no one else not even the USB drive. You should try to use it on the last computer that it worked to see if the computer didn’t corrupt the USB drive as well. But once a USB drive fails to read or constantly ask to format you can pretty much guess anything on there is gone. It’s not like a portable USB HDD drive that you can still recover USB is like flash RAM once corrupted it is wiped clean. Also one should buy a brand name USB drive really cheap USB drive are like HDD suspectical to poor QC thus leading to bad USB drives. And old adage buy cheap your get cheap QC product. I had a few USB drives fail but I had backps so I didn’t worry since those are only used to update the backup not as working USB drives.

You can always try ISOBuster