Three year user of +R gives up

vbimport

It has been a long time since I have posted to this forum, but here goes for old times sake. I first bought my Philips 890R about 3 years ago. It has been through the usual ‘return to base’ holiday, but a couple of weeks ago I finally gave up with it. I was only using quality media, but it got to the point where it would only record on brand new virgin discs; I could not use it on the timer, because it would not record if it was cold.

I have now bought a Toshiba RD-XS34. This is a -R machine of course. It is a very nice machine, with 160GB HD and will record on -R/RW and RAM. It will play my old +R/RW discs. This is an excellent piece of kit and I love the hard disk. In my opinion, the +R/RW format is more convenient for VCR type activity if you have DVD players dotted all over your house.

I am currently using my unused +RW discs for writing to on my PC burners.

Quite sorry to have left the +R camp, but Philips wore me down.

I have known of their drives being unreliable, but in my opinion the format is sound and technically robust. It is reliable for me, but in the end + or - is a personal preference, I’ve had bad experiences with -R and compatability so i’m a + fan since my equipment loves it.