Three Hollywood studios backing Toshiba in next gen DVD war

I just posted the article Three Hollywood studios backing Toshiba in next gen DVD war.

BusinessWeek Online has learned that Sony is about to take a serious blow in the fight over Blu-ray versus HD DVD. Apparently an announcement is in the works for sometime next week, that 3…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9333-Three-Hollywood-studios-backing-Toshiba-in-next-gen-DVD-war.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9333-Three-Hollywood-studios-backing-Toshiba-in-next-gen-DVD-war.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Deleted off topic
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 28.10.2004 14:32]

Deleted off topic
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 28.10.2004 14:31]

Deleted off topic
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 28.10.2004 14:31]

I prefer the war between the +s and the -'s, as DVD writer manus will come up with a way to make their writers compatible with both. However, this HD-DVD Vs. Blue-Ray DVD smacks more of the Beta vs. VHS and I doubt that DVDROM/R manus will be able to make a dual format drive that is compatible to both HD and BR. Beta, from what I am told, was the better quality format, but lost the war, I hope that this does not happen to BR-DVD because BR can already hold more data and movie than HD can. Deleted - off topic
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 28.10.2004 14:33]

Deleted - off topic
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 28.10.2004 14:30]

Please do not twist this into a discussion of politics. Or I will have to delete this entire story, rather than risk offending any CD Freak.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 28.10.2004 14:34]

With all these new HD media formats and the requirement for seperate optical drives, to read same, just how many $$$$ do these controlling media groups think the consumer has to spend on these competing formats. A large tower case would be needed to centrally contain all the required optical drives. The most expensive option would be to purchase seperate feature limited players. As for Eisner over at Disneyworld, he is currently fighting both a full scale civil war with various internal and external factions and a full rearguard action over PIXAR’s divorce(issues unresolved over copyright) and the non renewal/expiry of existing contract,further adverse shareholder litigation has recently been filed in the state of Delaware, have all conspired to limit his options, regarding the acceptance of any HD Format, in this case he will undoubtedly take the cheapest option available and take no action, and be force to merely sit on the fence until all issues are resolved. Choices, choices and curse all these choices!:S

Hmmm, it would seem that Bluray vs. HD-DVD has the potential to pit Studio against Studio, let alone Manufacturer vs. Manufacturer. Until it’s all sorted out I’m quite happy to plod on with DVD, and if they ever reduce the price, DVD DL…