Three bad batches of TYG03/02... or seven poor burners?

I can’t get a decent burn with TYG03 or TYG02 with my 4 Sammy 203B’s (SB01), 2 Liteys (20A1L and 20A1S), and NEC 3550. Regardless of which app I use to burn, the type of data being written, and the burn speed used (4x, 8x G02; 8x, 12x, 16x G03), I get PIE peaks in the 200 - 425 range through most of the disc and totals >750,000. Both Liteys agree on these results of both 4x and 16x DQ’s. Interestingly, PIF results are always quite good and usually total less than 800. Quality score is usually 90-95. I’d be a happy camper if the PIE results were also decent. TRT’s look fine even on the NEC 3550. But everyone else @CDF is seeing PIE peaks under 25 with any TY media. I’d be happy if it were <50 PIE…

Thinking I must just have several bad batches, I just got a TYG03 white inkjet printable sample from Rima.com. Same problem: PIE on this one was a bit lower than my Sony TYG03 and unbranded TYG02, but still had peaks over 200 for about 80% of the 4.2GB burn.

I have two 203B’s and one Litey 20A1 in each of my two C2D systems. Thinking that the Jmicron SATA controller was creating bad burns, I put the ODD’s on the Intel controller and HDD’s on the Jmicron and it made no difference. Am running everything in Legacy IDE mode.

These drives do much better with MCC 03RG20 (<45 peak PIE) and Optodisc R16 (<15 peak PIE), so they must be okay. I just don’t understand why none of my ODDs like these TY MID’s – it’s not like they are rare media without good write strat support…

Can a guy be so unlucky as to end up with 3 bad batches of TY media, bought at different times/places???

Perhaps he can be that unlucky. :stuck_out_tongue:

Post some scans so we can see how bad it is.

Never met a drive that didn’t like TYG02, even my Value Line TYG03 burns with far less PIE then that(PIF tends to get them trashed frequently tho).

That’s why i use +R. I don’t have that problem.

I also only use +R media Rolling56, always bitset to DVD-ROM. Never had a problem yet, dash media always gave me headaches although some were pretty good, but I still stick to +R.:iagree:

[quote=cd pirate;1947459]Perhaps he can be that unlucky. :stuck_out_tongue:

Post some scans so we can see how bad it is.[/quote] Here are some of the better ones. The 400+ PIE scans are on another PC. All scans are of the same movie burned onto two discs. Did a 4x and 16x scan of each one…

TYG03 don’t work well on my Benq1620 and Samsung SH-203B either. Since Verbatim +Rs and -Rs are priced the same where i come from, i always buy the +R Yuden T03s

LG & Pioneer are TYG02/03 friendly.

I still am puzzled why so many others have gotten great burns on TY G02/G03 media with the 203B’s, 20x Litey’s and most other writers?

[QUOTE=geekrule;1947765]LG & Pioneer are TYG02/03 friendly.[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree:

I don’t know what’s going on with your TYG02/TYG03.

I do know that my three LiteOn drives (1635S, 165P6S, 20A1P) are my best drives for writing TYG02, so if you can’t get good results with your LiteOn drives then I don’t know what to recommend instead.

For TYG03 I prefer using my Pioneer 111/112 drives, but scans are also good when burning in my LiteOn drives (playback, compatibility is not as good however).

My LiteOn 1635S’s also do very well with TYG03 - that was the first good burn I got from the media. Mind you that’s burning at 8x.

[quote=Arachne;1948146]My LiteOn 1635S’s also do very well with TYG03 - that was the first good burn I got from the media. Mind you that’s burning at 8x.[/quote] Maybe I should try some more 8x burns with TYG03. Most have been in the 12x-16x range.

[QUOTE=geekrule;1947765]LG & Pioneer are TYG02/03 friendly.[/QUOTE]

My LG H22N is a good G02 burner, the Liteon LH20A1P is even better.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1827802-post258.html

Very interesting.

Burning Sony branded TYG03 at 8x in my Litey 20A1S rewarded me with the best scan I’ve seen from this MID to date. (See the first two scans). What a difference a 4x drop in write speed can make.

The last two scans show the same movie and MID burned at 8x on my best Sammy 203B. Still crappy with high PIE. I love the low PIF but that is only measuring the scanner’s error correction ability – not the ultimate readability of the disc in another player – correct? I’d really prefer a burn with a low PIE count to begin with so players with less capable error correction have a better chance of good playback…

IIRC, Samsungs in general prefer DVD+R over DVD-R.
We all love the flat =< 10 PIE scans, but actually it’s the PIF that make the huge difference.

That’s right, having 1 million or more total PIE is not as bad as having 10,000 PIF total IMO. So despite some crappy looking burns, the PIF is still very low, which would be better for playback than a burn with higher and more clustered PIF.

Looks like the 8x liteon burn is a winner with TYG03. The TYG03 I have burned, also goes crappier at higher speeds. You really need an A grade TYG03 to get nice burns @ 12x and 16x.

The difference seems like only 4x but it’s more than that in reality between 12x and 8x. Some drives write @ 12x and reach 12x at the 1.5-2GB part of the disc, which is identical to many 16x writing strategies, they just stop @ 12x and remain there. The RPM are higher, which is probably the killer aspect because it’s just all that much harder to write well @ the increases spinning speed. Newer liteons use a slower approach and they reach 8x after little while, they only start @ like 5x or something so the RPM are nice and low.

Seeing as you found a solution to the TYG03 - I’m wondering if you tried burning @ 6x or 4x with TYG02 yet to see if it makes a difference?

[quote=cd pirate;1948416]That’s right, having 1 million or more total PIE is not as bad as having 10,000 PIF total IMO. So despite some crappy looking burns, the PIF is still very low, which would be better for playback than a burn with higher and more clustered PIF.

[/quote] What bothers me is the impression I have that a decent PIF report from a disc with high PIE only means the drive has a good error correction ability. Am I correct in that assumption?

Will try some TYG02 later tonight or sometime tomorrow…

This Litey likes TYG02 at 4x. :slight_smile: Didn’t bother testing this MID on a 203B; probably would have been crap like the G03 at 8x was…

Well it seems that @ the right speed and right burner your TYG03 and TYG02 burn very nicely :wink: