Threads on Adding Copy Protection to discs

vbimport

Serious Question: I read two threads where a person was asking how to add copy protection to a disc and the topic was closed by an admin. Why?

The forum is called- Copy Protection Discussion Forum. "Discover the wonderful world of copy-protections."

I feel this is a very appropriete discussion for this forum. It does not say that this is a forum for only defeating protection.

I found it very interesting that Ulead's DVD Workshop can add copy protection. I'm sure that will come in handy down the road.

Threads where this topic was squashed:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84131
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83901

In here people’s main concern is to get around copy protection, not add it. What kind of copy protection would you want to add to your CD’s? If it was SafeDisc and SecuROM or something like that I would consider that illegal, stealing perhaps. We don’t want to get into illegal stuff here. The best copy protection you’re going to get for a reasonable amount would be a program that adds it for you. Copying a copy protection for your own personal use, :frowning:

>In here people’s main concern is to get around copy protection, not add it.

Correct. You can discuss it here or over at the Daemon’s Forum www.daemon-tools.cc if your technical knowledge is limited (no offence)

Let me start by saying that I don’t actually have a use for adding copy protection… I think it’s a topic worth discussing.

“In here people’s main concern is to get around copy protection, not add it.”

I understand the main concern, but the forum name is not limiting to this only.

“We don’t want to get into illegal stuff here.”

I understand this also…

“The best copy protection you’re going to get for a reasonable amount would be a program that adds it for you.”

Exactly why I don’t understand that this topic is squashed. Talking about a program to add copy protection… If you are worried about the implications of piracy or theft regarding this topic, I would like you to think about how many people may have pirated the programs to defeat copy protection to make copies of software.

It sounds like a double-standard… ?

I obviously don’t want to start a fight, so please do not take it this way. May I recommend changing the forum name slightly? If you do not want to allow the topic here.

I do like this site and the forums, great info.

Originally posted by Pakratus
If you are worried about the implications of piracy or theft regarding this topic, I would like you to think about how many people may have pirated the programs to defeat copy protection to make copies of software.

That may be true, but they sure don’t post that here. I guess that it is not the fact that it is illegal, anyone could copy a copy protection if they really wanted to, we don’t want to get into any of that stuff incase Macrovision or another protection company comes here and finds out that people have been copying their protection software.

You can start by looking here but I don’t know if they target protecting DVD media, I happen to know from previously using the software myself it does work on cdr media. They may have included DVD support since then.

If you ever look into protecting audio cd’s, try CCD-Lock it works great.

There are many threads on this topic, and located in different forums over here. One of these topics is:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=61109]Help…Wonna do something with SecureROm , SafeDisc or LaserLok

The description of this forum:

Discover the wonderful world of copy-protections. Learn how to identify a protection and how you can beat them! In the sub forum you’re welcome to report newly found protections.

It says nothing about how to protect your own CDs, for that you can, for example, turn to the General Software forum.

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
turn to the General Software forum.
Yes. Thread moved

This will be my last post on this subject…

“It says nothing about how to protect your own CDs”

"Discover the wonderful world of copy-protections."

Does adding Copy Protection have anything to do with Copy Protection? Copy Protection=Copy Protection, doesn’t matter if you are adding it or removing it. It is still Copy Protection.

Rename the forum, or allow posts on the subject of Copy Protection.

Originally posted by Pakratus
This will be my last post on this subject…

Remember, when push comes to shove, the mod always has the last word :bigsmile:

Hey FP isn’t this supposed to be in Forum Talk?
(yeah I’m a fascist when it comes to wrong forum :bigsmile: )

yes, it is (thread moved again)

breaking protection, theory behind copy protection -> copy protection discussion forum

protecting your own stuff? probably general software

I totally agree that adding copy protection to a DVD should be allowed to be talked about. If anything removing it is on much more shaky ground. How is it illegal to talk about protecting your home made DVD’s? :confused:

Originally posted by Ssseth
I totally agree that adding copy protection to a DVD should be allowed to be talked about. If anything removing it is on much more shaky ground. How is it illegal to talk about protecting your home made DVD’s? :confused:

It is not illegal, it is just that another forum is more appropriate…

Ahhhh, I suppose it might be a good idea to actually read properly next time huh?
[/making an @$$ outta myself]

:smiley:

You should be allowed to put copy protection on to your cds, just not copy a copy protection… I only said it was illegal to copy a copy protection, not add one legally.:smiley:

All of the people’s thread that have been closed down were not for the fact that they wanted to add copy protection to discs, but they wanted to implement a protection, ie. add SafeDisc or SecuROM to their own games.