Thread split: What software do you use to convert to xvid/divx/h264

So after ripping what software do you use to convert to xvid/divx/h264? (or whatever you use)

Dr Divx does a nice job.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Dr_DivX/1051902877/1

Free, too.

I would recommend a combination of the two great frontends: RipIt4Me and AutoGK. RipIt4Me is a frontend for DVD Decrypter and FixVTS, which you use for ripping the main movie from the DVDs, and it makes it possible to rip the newer titles that DVD Decrypter cannot handle on it’s own i.e. ARccOS protected titles. AutoGK is a frontend for several quality tools like e.g. VirtualDubMod, AviSynth, DGMPGDec, VobSub and XviD etc. and is used to make the actual XviD/DivX DVDRip from the VOBs ripped earlier with RipIt4Me.

Is AutoGK as easy to use as Dr Divx?

I gotta download that thing and try it…

Well, i can’t really answer that, as i don’t have any experience whatsoever with Dr. DivX, but as AutoGK is based on the very powerfull tool Gordian Knot, but just has been changed so that all the advanced options are choosen internally, based on a few selectable user options, then i’m sure that you will be able to figure it out :). The idea of the tool, was that since so many newbies had such a hard time to get into the original Gordian Knot app, then another version was made which incorporated all of Gordian Knot’s powerfullness with an easy to use interface. I’m sure that you will have no problem with it, as it is extremely easy to use, but just in case, then here is the link to the official tutorial : http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

CU, Martin.

Before we all get too far down the route of converting to XviD/DivX/H.264, to avoid going round in circles we should remember this recent other thread by the OP on the subject:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=200904

From the first post, it seems AutoGK has already been tried and proved apparently unsatisfactory.

Well, Dr. Divx really does get the job done pretty easily.

In my op Fairuse is better then AutoGK.

I can’t get AutoGK to handle things right. Drives me bonkers. I may try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I have not yet tried Fairuse. I’ll try lookin’ for it.

But Dr. Divx is just idiot proof, which is good for me, and it has a progress bar so I know it’s actually still processing something and not stuck in a loop.

EDIT: - Bummer. FairUse is Payware. :frowning:

Dr. Divx is free.

No it’s not, if you read carefully. The ‘Light’ edition is free and will give you an encoded filesize of up to 700 MB: i.e. will fit on a CD and is the most commonly-used filesize for XviD/DivX.

See, you’re talking to a guy who never remembers to RTFM on any of the apps I get. So now you’re expecting me to read the fine print? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the catch - I appreciate the clarification.

Only thing I don’t care for in Fairuse is how blocky it gets in high detail/dark areas. Other then that it is a good program. Sharper image then AutoGK.

Blockiness in dark areas is a general problem with XviD and DivX, and not necessarily related to FairUse as an application. It’s not a great encoding strategy for films with these sorts of scenes, and one of the reasons people are starting to look at other MPEG-4 based codecs like H.264. The main problem with this one of course, is that the vast majority of DVD players won’t be able to play material encoded with that.

I like the idea of using Xvid, cause a lot of the TV episodes I download and watch are in Xvid format and they look pretty good. I wonder what people use to get 'em in Xvid?

Dr. Divx is just so easy to use though, I can read in an episode from my DVR and put it in Divx format without even thinking, which for me is convenient.

All this stuff is just confusing my little brain. :frowning:

Although interesting, we are getting way off the original thread title topic. This part split off and renamed.

Gordian Knot (GK), AutoGK, FairUse, Handbrake (PC and Mac)… - there’s a list of tools and guides on Videohelp.com here

XviD is basically a branch of the DivX development that take a subset of the MPEG-4 standards (hence the palindromic similarity of names). DivX became commercial, patented etc and since the early days you have had to pay for it. XviD meanwhile is deliberately kept as an open source codec and free.

Most decent encoding applications will make use of either DivX or XviD; it’s a matter of preference and people will have different reasons for choosing.

That is more an issue caused by too low bitrate usually (though if the original source is poorly mastered/encoded then it is inpractical to correct).

I have been experimenting with the various MPEG-4 codecs, both ASP & AVC. For most material, AVC (H.264) gives noticeably superior percieved results at the same bitrate & resolution compared to ASP (DivX/XviD) and MPEG-2 codecs (at standard practical file sizes).

I tried AutoGK but find it lacks flexibilty, so I have been using MeGUI which supports XviD&x264 and is very flexible.

Yes, AutoGK does lack some in flexibility, but that is also the point of it, as it is designed for newbies also. For advanced users, then there are the hidden options, which gives it alot more flexibility for the people that actually knows what they are doing. If that’s not enough, then there of course is the original Gordian Knot, which in terms of flexibility is way more advanced than most of the competition…

This is good information. Thanks to you all for helping to clarify. :slight_smile: