Thousands of movie downloaders sued at once

vbimport

I just posted the article Thousands of movie downloaders sued at once.

A coalition of independent filmmakers in the United States has listed 20,000 movie torrent downloaders in a handful of massive lawsuits, and is likely to target an even larger number of downloaders soon.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/thousands-of-movie-downloaders-sued-at-once-27817/](http://www.myce.com/news/thousands-of-movie-downloaders-sued-at-once-27817/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nobody cares and nobody ever will.

In the worst case scenario ISPs will fall down, clients will decrease in the thousands, media will not be sold, there will be a lot of anger.

This will be an epic fail. Living in Canada, I’m probably pretty safe for now.

Is there another word for “synonym”?

My Giganews account has SSL connection - will I be safe???

[QUOTE=c4m3r4;2506480]My Giganews account has SSL connection - will I be safe???[/QUOTE]

Depends. Are you wearing your tinfoil hat?

All I ask is to prove that money can’t make me happy.

SSL on Usenet only protects the downstream going to the user’s PC, i.e. such that no one can snoop at what you’re downloading. This is a useful way for getting around Usenet bandwidth restrictions applied with some ISPs. However, it doesn’t protect the user from uploading content to Usenet, since even if the connection is secure, the headers attached to the uploaded content can usually be traced backed to the uploader.

[QUOTE=c4m3r4;2506480]My Giganews account has SSL connection - will I be safe???[/QUOTE] Yes, your ip adress is now totally encrypted… :rolleyes:

Ok, seriously… I’m calling “BS” on this one and saying “April Fool’s”… :wink:

Unfortunately, this article is NOT an April Fools joke.

Realized that after reading “New enthusiast DVD writer coming soon” article… :frowning: When will they realize they will never stop copying and downloading and stop wasting time and resources on useless DRM and lawsuits that which only serve to alienate legitimate users.

P2P encryption here we come…

Does streaming have the same potential consequences as downloading movies, i.e. Pirate Bay?

If they’re going based on IP address, then use a proxy when accessing torrent sites, at least it will give them a false IP address and location.

I wonder how many of these were innocent people who never download any movie, buy had a compromised PC running a proxy they were unaware of.

For example, I remember several years ago looking at someone’s PC to find out why they were having strange error messages trying to connect to it remotely by VNC. It turns out their PC had been compromised, where the VNC service was set to a different port number and Tinyproxy installed listening in on the port number VNC originally used. On the other hand, that person was one of those who didn’t see much of a point in virus checkers. Whoops . . .

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2506481]Depends. Are you wearing your tinfoil hat?
What’s the frequency Kenneth? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Castle_Rock;2506675]If they’re going based on IP address, then use a proxy when accessing torrent sites, at least it will give them a false IP address and location.[/QUOTE]

That’ll teach them!

[QUOTE=LoboBrother;2506519]P2P encryption here we come…[/QUOTE] It already is here… And it won’t help a single bit.

What you people seem to forget is that somewhere, sometime, someplace, your computer must recieve the data.

Either via normal tcp/ip torrent protocol or via enormous circumventions using security, encryption, spoofing, hiding, whatever.

Eventually all the data will come into your pc and goes out to your pc, via your internet provider.

It will always be via your internet provider (isp). No matter what kind of awesome proxy, security or encryption you have.

Giganews: via your isp. Torrent: via your isp. TOR proxy routing: via your isp.

So, if your isp is being monitored… good luck hiding.

[QUOTE=Castle_Rock;2506675]If they’re going based on IP address, then use a proxy when accessing torrent sites, at least it will give them a false IP address and location.[/QUOTE]
Accessing the torrent file on a torrent site is not under dispute, as this is a descriptive file, and is not the actual copyrighted content. The dispute is that downloaders are downloading/uploading infringing content to a PC/server which is monitored by litigious groups, or their representatives.

If you are connecting your Torrents through a legal PROXY server -> they are logging your connections, and the litigious group can track back to the proxy server, and then consult the proxy access logs, and identify your connection.

If you are connecting through an illegal proxy, ie someones compromised PC, then I don’t doubt that the content companies are the least of your worries, and that you’ll be caught at some point and charged with some serious criminal offences :iagree:.

[QUOTE=debro;2506799]Accessing the torrent file on a torrent site is not under dispute, as this is a descriptive file, and is not the actual copyrighted content. The dispute is that downloaders are downloading/uploading infringing content to a PC/server which is monitored by litigious groups, or their representatives.

If you are connecting your Torrents through a legal PROXY server -> they are logging your connections, and the litigious group can track back to the proxy server, and then consult the proxy access logs, and identify your connection.

If you are connecting through an illegal proxy, ie someones compromised PC, then I don’t doubt that the content companies are the least of your worries, and that you’ll be caught at some point and charged with some serious criminal offences :iagree:.[/QUOTE]
I had checked out Limewire but anytime I tried a download it would have a viros piggy backing and my firewall would stop iy and it was frustrateing to remove trojins and othe crap . Wasn’t worth the trouble , or the ramifications that it could have .

It seems that the recording industry has got its hooks into everything. This article on “Thousands of movie downloader’s sued at once” , then see the article here on MYCE “Blockbuster flaunts new releases over Netflix, Redbox” , and how Comcast won a case against the FCC to throttle back BIT Torrent downloads titled “Net neutrality faces serious setbacks” (for article see http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/20100407/tc_ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc1510 ). It appears that he who has the gold makes the rules.

One would think that if wire tapping phones are illegal without a court order then why listening to internet traffic also not considered at least borderline illegal. I guess if the US Copyright Group can do it then everyone should listen in on their cause and start harassing individuals that don’t agree with them such as the right to life groups, PETA, even the TEA Party group.

Lastly while I am not entirely clear how BIT Torrent transfers a file to a user I feel it works this way and please correct me if I am wrong. BIT Torrent operates much like Google’s search engine you make a request for something and it searches the internet for matches which is usually don’t by third party providers (like Pirates Bay) which organize the data . You select what you are seeking and BIT torrent provides the path(s) needed for the file. The file is downloaded in segments a piece at a time and from multiple sources if available. What I am trying to clarify is 1) how do they know what you are downloading - with all that traffic on the net and being its coming in pieces how do they know its copyrighted content? The second question I have is that while every packet has your IP address embedded in it my internet provider assigns addresses by DHCP which means dynamic addressing so my IP address may change daily. They are able to track an IP address back to a provider but how can they pin point specific user?