Thousands of errors...anyone else get these results? Please help!

This might seem like a long post, but I tried to be as non-newb as possible (although I am, when it comes to DVD burning) and include as much information as I could get. I’d really appreciate it if someone might take a moment and let me know what he/she thinks.

I have an ND-2510A, stock firmware (2.15), purchased OEM from Newegg.com a week or so ago. I’m using Ritek RiData branded (G04) DVD-R, purchased in a pack of 50 from Newegg as well.

I made about half a dozen burns using Nero 6.3.1.15, some of them data, some of them DVD backups, and everything seemed fine – played in DVD player, passed Nero’s verify, etc. However, being just a little paranoid about the longevity/quality of my backed up data (especially since there’s so much of it per disc), I decided to start checking using Nero CD/DVD Speed & DVDInfoPro since I can’t use Kprobe with my NEC.

A couple of burns gave read errors towards the end of the disc, but were otherwise read fine by my DVD player and my DVD-ROM (I tried transferring all the files back to my HD). All of the others gave graphs that looked like this:

where it takes a sharp dip towards the end. Has anyone else gotten something like this? I know these results are definitely not typical, since most of the other curves I see end nicely around 8X with a flat line. Also, I checked using DVDInfoPro, which I’ve read was supposed to be pretty definitive, and got thousands of read errors:

Yet it still works fine (tried copying the files and everything). However, CD/DVD Speed’s Scandisc didn’t seem to pick up on anything:

I checked a retail DVD movie (‘Basic’) to see if it would do the same, but since it’s a dual layer, the CAV curve goes up and then down in CD/DVD speed, so obviously I wasn’t able to notice any sharp drops in speed, since it slows down to the starting speed:

Similarly, I tested this with DVDInfoPro, and again got read errors by the thousand. Both discs work, and this is store bought, so I’m not sure how much I believe these results… ::scratches head::

And with CD/DVD speed scandisc, again, error-free:

I’m going to try doing some more tests later this weekend when I’m around, defrag my HD’s, burn onto these Memorex DVD+RW’s that I got, and maybe change the IDE cable, to see if any of those do anything.

In the meantime, can anyone help me figure out what the problem is? I’ve searched around without finding any really similar situations, and I’d like to think that I’m just being paranoid, but these results make me pretty wary. Is my drive defective? Are RiData G04’s THAT bad? (I saw a lot of good reviews of it on Newegg, some with the ND-2500A burner) Please let me know if you have any suggestions/insight!! Thank you very much.

–Additional info:

Here’s the hex dump of my Ritek G04’s using DVD Identifier:

0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 76 0e 14 88 9a 80 00 .@…R…v…
0010 : 03 52 49 54 45 4b 47 00 04 30 34 00 00 00 00 00 .RITEKG…04…
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 08 12 11 86 67 80 00 …g…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 05 1b 0e 10 08 09 00 …
0040 : 09 97 06 0d 0b 80 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 …
0050 : 0b 04 1d 18 a8 88 85 00 0c 89 ac 88 80 00 00 00 …

I noticed something odd (Incorrect Descriptors??) under “Drive Capabilities” with DVD Identifier – it’s probably nothing, but here it is anyway:

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
Descriptor #1 = 5645 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 4234 KBPS ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #3 = 3528 KBPS ( 2.55x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #4 = 2822 KBPS ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #5 = 1411 KBPS ( 1.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #6 = 706 KBPS ( 0.51x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

Well ALL my DVDs give me Bad Readings when my Comps been running for a while…Not so Bad when comp is newly switched on…n My readings r Terrible but ALL play Perfect…I stoped doing these Error Reads now as they were makeing me Paranoid…Go Figure JMO

Don’t worry, everything is fine with your DVDs. The error test from DVDInfoPro is known for not working properly! :wink:

I’ll second that, forget DVDInfo and stick with CDSpeed.

1. Don’t believe the dvdinfopro read test. I remember there were similar cases of wrong error reporting. If Nero CD-DVD curve is smooth, the disc is good.

2. It happens very often that a drive lower its speed at end of a disc or even makes a failure. Someone says it is a sign of a bad media. Maybe… but anyway it’s a warning.

3. In my personal viewpoint 2500A is such a terrible reader, so even if something make a read problem there, I don’t take it so seriously. Try your disc at other DVD-rom drive and observe CD-DVD read curve. If it is smooth, I believe the disc is still good. (I know… the fact that 2500A can’t read it fully will haunt you every night in your dream. :slight_smile: )

4. If other DVD-rom drives also report some problem, definitely the disc is dying.

5. I believe Herrie firmware use G05 strategy for G04 burning.(Is this true for 4x burning? I’m not sure.) Regarding the reported trouble of G04 at stock firmware,(even though my Ridata didn’t have any problem with it) I believe it’s worth considering to change the firmware.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I’m not really giving DVDInfoPro much credit since it reported so many errors on my retail DVD. I’ll try what MrScary said and scan my DVD on a fresh reboot next time I get a chance.

@jk736, re #3: I also tried testing the discs in my NEC DV-5800A DVD-ROM from 3 years ago, and I got basically the same curve. Maybe it’s similar NEC optics? I’m going to bring some of these over to my friend with a Lite-On, and try Kprobe to see how those go.

I’m also still a little hesitant to flash my firmware, since I don’t want to void my warrantee just in case I have a defective drive and need to return it… (Or, is this something I don’t really need to worry about? Can Newegg tell the firmware has been modified?)

Does anyone know of any other tests that might be reliable for disc error checking?

Buy a LiteOn DVD-ROM (166 or 167) and flash it with a hacked firmware that supports reading speeds up to 16x on burned media! Then do a transfer rate test (reading curve) in CD-DVD Speed. If the curve is without serious slow-downs, your disc is OK! :wink: