Thoughts on this hard drive

vbimport

I am planning on buying a new hard drive and i’m interested in this one:

Barracuda 7200.10 SATA Seagate - ST3400620AS

Any comments on this hard drive would be very helpful.

Its good, I have a similar one - 320 gigs running rock solid for a long time now. This is the 400 gig version, should be very similar. Frys has a sale on this sometimes, so keep a watch. I’d say Go for it!

thanks for your help. will this hard drive last for about 5 years? (My current two Seagate drives have lasted that long) I am also wondering, would this be a good hard drive for OS and Applications, or for a storage drive for downloads, setups, TV shows etc? I’m planning on getting two new hard drives for OS and storage. I’m still searching for another good hard drive. Suggestions would be great.

Nobody knows that, not even Seagate.

A harddrive can die at any point starting from the day you turn it on for the first time. According to a study by Google, it doesn’t even matter much how you stress the harddrive.

My rule of thumb is to expect three years of service from a harddrive and anything beyond that is a bonus. But you might get lucky and have the same harddrive work for ten years.

Since you don’t know how long a harddrive will last, you need to take this into account by backing up important data regularly, and if you can’t accept having to wait for a harddrive replacement if your drive dies, then you need to buy a spare drive you can save until you need it.

I have the 250 GB vers. of that drive, & I am assembling a new pc which I plan on putting another Seagate in. I have used several Seagate drive over the years, never had a problem.

Many of my tech friends swear by them! In my experience, a rock solid drive.

regards, katzz :slight_smile:

Would this be a good hard drive for OS and Applications, or for a storage drive for downloads, setups, TV shows etc?

I’m rather fond of Seagate drives. I’ve also used them since I built my first PC, only ever had a problem with one OEM drive. Generally though, rock solid as katzz says.

Drage’s “rule of thumb” is a good one. :iagree:

As for what to use it for - either, I’d say.

If you can afford it, get the Western Digital 74 GB raptor for your OS. You wont be disappointed :slight_smile: