Thoughts on 1673s

vbimport

im in the market for a new dvd burner and so far it seems that the 1673s is not a good choice in drives. is that really the case?

A few months ago i decied to buy a different drive instead of my usuall liteons. I have to say i am not pleased. I bough the nec 3520a. the burn quallity is good. but it wont burn cd media (any format), it wont burn dvdrw (any format), so basically i got a drive that i cant use all of the features of. I have contacted nec and they gave me 3 different firmwares to try, but so far none of them work. They say to rma it, but i have a buddy that wants to buy it and i will just charge him the cost for a replacement. He doesnt burn cds or rws so he thinks it will be a great solution for both of us. as do i.

I would RMA it, why should you keep (and sell) a half working drive? As you see, any brand has its flaws. As I read the threads about the LiteOn 1673, I sure would buy it. It’s an improvement over the 1633/53 series. Good luck.

:bigsmile: Leo

My 1673s works flawlessly…burns everything.

i think if you wait a abit there maybe a firmware that can cross flash 1673s to 1693s lol

so i think its worth a go …on 1673s…beside its might be the last MTK chip that will be made by LO…Because the SONY CHIP/LASER bundle deal?? i cold be wrong on this one lol…HOPE!!

My 2 cents worth; I have had my 1673s for a month now and am totally satisfied with it. Just flashed to the JS05 without incident. I replaced my 813s, it did not like DVD -R media.
Pop’s

I’m getting great results with my 1673s. The only bad burn I had was my very first, and I’m pretty sure I screwed something up myself… I think it all depends on the media you use. I have used nothing by Taiyo Yuden discs. DVD-R, DVD+R and CD-R have all worked beautifully for me.

nice, thanks a ton for all the replies. back to a litey…hmwahahaha

LiteOn 1673s, 16x Verbatim burned at 16x. This drive is excellent!

liteon got it, finally!

Hi Jake…
Which firmware rev are you using??

OOps… never mind, I saw it in the probe results once I logged in.

Is this any good? Its the first time i run the kprobe and i dont know what setting i must put in the program etc. I just put a full dvd with backup files inside (programs, games etc).

And another one at 4x.

Always run Kprobe at 4x not max.

@periklis
what speed was it burnt at?

At 16x (the disk i wrote and test it).

can you rescan the disc with nero cd-dvd speed?

ok.

The picture:

not a transfer test…

in main window go to “epipleon” and select the 4th option. scan @4x speed!

ok