This is why I love my DW1640

I got my 1640 back yesterday (which my brother borrowed last summer), loaded the latest firmware in it, and did some overspeeding on very cheap discs. The results were kinda sweet, and reminded me why the 1640 is still my favorite burner. Here are some fresh scans confirming this:

CMC MAG-F01-01 x4 DVD+R reached x15.5 max with OK results (the 1640 it gave the highest score, it however scored pretty low when scanned on the 1650 and the Liteon 1635). Some of these discs oversped at x12.2 max with very good scans in all 3 drives, it makes for a great overspeed when taking into account how cheap these discs are. The 1650 can only burn them at x8 max and sometimes it even drops at x4 with worse results than the 1640 x12 burns…

This is the first x12.2 burn:

This the x4 one that reached x15.5

I selected maximum speed x8 when burning this one, but it looks like the x12 burns suited better this x4 media! Still, results are decent enough.

Another CMC MAG-F01 x4 DVD+R, again reached x12.2 max.

PRODISC-R04-04 x16 DVD+R only reached x12 but the scans were really nice

INFODISC R20-00 x8 DVD+R, reached only its nominal speed of x8, again with good results. The 1650 sometimes drops to x4 when burning these…

Footnote:

With all the trouble that I’ve been having recently with my Retail vs OEM 1655 and 1650, it is refreshing to plug in the 1640, upgrade the firmware and straight away see decent results on very cheap media with the added bonus of decent overspeeding. This is how things should work, and given the 1640’s legacy (and firmware which has matured), I think its only a matter of time before the Liteon engineers start producing more fine-tuned and ultimately better frmwrz for the 1650/1655 as well.

:iagree: 1640 still rules… :bigsmile:

I think its only a matter of time before the Liteon enginners start producing more fine-tuned and ultimately better frmwrz for the 1650/1655.
Heh… BenQ engineers I hope. :wink:

Correction, I meant “The BenQ engineers” on my previous post!

Try swapping the Infome R20 write strategy with T03, and burn at 12x (wopc off). I got incredible results. :slight_smile: