This forums is turning me off burning DVDs

A few hours ago, I was a happy geek burning away on my Asus 1814Blt with cheap dvds.

A few (failed) tries at burning very large files over DL disk led to a visit to these forums and now I’m sweating going passing my collection through cd-dvd speed and panicking at the thought of disappearing data and mysterious PIF errors.

In a nutshell I’m a mess, and you need to help me out :sad:

Can a kind someone please have a look at the graph below and tell me if I should start to panic? I’d really appreciate it, really. It’s a disc I burned at max speed (16x) containing a single wmv for the whole disc (that’s the only kind of disc i burn). Media is CMC MAG M01 (the tdk 100pcs kind).

TIA!!!

The scan itself looks fine, try to copy the data back to your PC to ensure readability or run the Transfer Rate Test option.

Hi Adidas, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

There’s no need to panic over the scan in your post. It’s not the very best of scans, but it’s a good scan and well within specifications for an acceptable disc (if one applies the relevant ECMA standards). The Asus DRW-1814BLT is not a well known disc quality scanner here, so I would be hesitant to base any decisions only on scans in that drive.

Scans by themselves only provide part of the picture of how good the quality of a disc or a burn is, and another important part is to check whether the disc can be read without slowdowns at maximum speed; this can be done on the Benchmark tab in CDSpeed. Yet another important test for DVD Video discs is to see if the play in your DVD player.

CMC MAG M01 media is regarded as variable quality media, which doesn’t always burn with good quality. If you get a working disc however, CMC media is generally known to be stable over time unlike some other DVD media.

A piece of advice: Now that you’ve recently discovered PIE/PIF scanning, don’t go into panic over seeing some scans that you think might be bad. Instead, learn what to expect from scans, especially scans made by drives similar to your drive, and when you have a better understanding of media testing, THEN you can panic (or not). :bigsmile:

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I feel a little bit less panicky now :smiley:

The reason I joined these forums is because a very bad experience with DL disc led me here. I never had problem playing or burning media before, but a box of Phillips (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=547350) changed all that. It burned fine (all 25 discs), and I erased the original from my HD. Then I realized none of the disc would switch layers when played in VLC. It would just hang. You can imagine my face.

I’m told that only the Verbatim stuff is any good for burning ultra large files (8gb) on DL. I guess I can accept that but they cost twice the price. Are DL really that bad? Maybe I should just stick with SL media.

Verbatim is the only highly recommended media for DVD±R DL. Other DVD±R DL media may work, but results are less certain and will depend on the burning drive.

Some programs can create problems at the layer break on DL media, so many people prefer to use ImgBurn when burning DL media, because it handles the layerbreak properly.

DL still suffers from a combination of drive writing support incompatibility & quality fluctuations of media. The only safe option is Verbatim DL, tho price is more than twice the equivalent SL disc. It seems pointless unless you specifically require the space of DL.

OK thank you all again, this forums really rocks!

I have one last question and I’ll leave slowly by the backdoor:
I have a few DL disc that have survived the onslaught and are readable (but not watchable as they can’t seek in vlc).

Sorry for the stupid question but say I’m able to copy the data from the disc back to my HD, does that mean the data is the same as it was originally or was it ‘corrupted’ somehow because of the PIF errors? (as you can guess i’m planning to dump all the data back to HD then again onto verbatim media).

If you can read the files back to the HDD, then the files are not corrupted (unless there was some serious problems with the computer that burned those files).
PIF don’t corrupt the data; PIF means that the first of two layers (PI) has failed to correct an error, but there’s a second layer (PO) that will usually be able to correct errors even when PIF are very high. If PO fails (POF) the drive will usually try to re-read the problematic sectors, and only if the POF persists will you get an actual reading error.

Unless you use ripping software that is specifically configured to ignore reading errors, you will get a fatal error during copying and not data corruption. Data corruption can only happen with ripping programs set to ignore reading errors.

You are not required to leave through the back door. :disagree: :wink:

That is a bout how my M01’s (TDK Multi-Color Snap n Save 30pk) burn right off the spindle. Never had a problem with them in a player with burns like that though so I wouldn’t worry. I actually like the M01’s better than my Imation Daxon AZ3 (also cheap media) that some here seem to like. I get over 3000 MAX PIF on every one of those.

I’m about to grab some Maxell branded M01’s since they’re cheaper than the TDK’s, and available just about everywhere.