This boggles my mind

vbimport

ok when i burned a DVD+R (verbatim 16x printable inkjet)

i cd-tested it, and scores came out fine. (PIF total was less than 100, with PI max about 6-7) w/ 98%-99% quality test.

i put a post-it on top of it and let it sit in my DVD-binder for 3-4 days.

now i run it thru and the PIF is like 19 with 26,000~ something PIF total.

?? wtf ??

But now, when I run the benchmark - the line is TOTALLY straight - from start to finish.

I ran this twice - both same results.

WHAT IS GOING ON???

Look for dust, fingerprints, and dirt that shouldn’t be on the data surface of the disc.

should i expect any trouble playing those DVDs?

What drive are you testing with? Test speed? Post a scan. A dvd binder can warp or damage discs, although it’s extremely unlikely to have any serious effect in a matter of days. And I don’t see how a post-it note can have any effect either.

I have a SONY 810-A crossflashed to a BENQ 1640.

Test speed = 8x , always

I don’t have a scan, because it’s not on this computer. But it’s basically what I stated earlier.

What do you mean ‘the line is totally straight’? What line? What kind of scans are you getting now, good or bad? If you got a bad scan right after taking it out of the binder, only to get good scans after it had been out of the binder for a time, the binder may be flexing the discs and they are ‘straightening’ out after being out of the binder for awhile. Sound far-fetched? It might not be a common occurance but I’ve read of this happening to others and I’ve seen it myself, although it was to a much lesser extent than your results. This is one of the reasons why binders can sometimes be a poor choice of storage.

Please post a scan of this. A picture speaks a thousand words :flower:

If it was in a binder, take it out and leave it in a jewel case, stored vertical, for a couple days then re-scan. Chances are good that it was warped and needs to “relax”.

Here is the Test Scan – It was A LOT better a few days ago when I first scanned it.

It just sat in my binder. I’ll try sitting it in a vertical CD case for a few days and see if the quality improves.

It could be from temporary warping as rdgrimes and I mentioned previously, or it could even be from small scratches or alot of dust on the disc. Scratches can occur in a binder depending on its conditions, and dust can cause a number of spikes, although it’d have to be pretty bad to create this many.

I’ve had scans that looked like that due to dirt. When I knew nothing about cleaning discs, I used to clean them with tissue paper. I found that rather than cleaning the disc, the tissue paper introduced very fine powder onto the recording surface, hence the bad results. I later switched to using a special cloth used for cleaning spectacles and the scans looked much closer to what I had before I used tissue paper on those discs.

I know you aren’t using tissues in your situation but it could be something similar introduced by the sleeves in the binder. If you can get hold of the sort of cloth used for cleaning spectacles (non furry type), try giving the disc a clean but CAREFULLY. You don’t want to scratch the disc.

I :iagree: with all of the above: input from [B]rdgrimes[/B], [B]karangguni [/B]and [B]scoobiedoobie[/B]. Your problem is one of these described, or even several of these together.

Looking at the scan, I’d say scratches. But it’s about as scientific as looking in a crystal ball… :bigsmile:

Regardless of the changes, 94% is still a good quality scan, and it should play fine. Also, if you search some of the older posts, I’ve seen numerous scans where someone has scanned a dvd immediately after burning, then scanned it again hours later, and had minor differences within just a few hours… If you were going from 99% to 80%, I might be worried.

Going from less than 100 PIFs total to 26000 PIF total in a couple of days (as posted in his first post), you don’t find that worrying? I do! :iagree: - besides, if it’s scratches due to rough material in the binder, it’s gonna get worse each time he takes the disc out of the binder and then back in…