Thinking Out Loud: SB = OFF?

vbimport

Negritude, thinking out loud and wondering to himself:

Back in the day, when DW1650 and DW1655 firmwares past BCDC and BCDB were being released, a lot of people complained about slowdowns with some media, like MCC 004, down to speeds as low as 4x, which made the burns unusable. In a lot of the discussions, people would use shorthand to indicate they had turned the SolidBurn function off to try and fix the problem. They would write things like “SB=OFF”, etc. However, in looking through those threads and discussions, negritude noticed a glaring problem, that no one ever indicated whether they turned SolidBurn completely off, that being, did they just turn it off for known media, or did they also turn it off for unknown media?

You see, negritude has this theory that the problem with slowdows was related more to SolidBurn than to WOPC, in that SolidBurn was broken and identifying known media as unknown, but that by essentially transforming your DW1650 into a DW1620, and completely disabling SolidBurn, the slowdown problem would go away. However, in trying to judge the old conversation, he’s a bit confused as to whether people were careful to completely rid themselves of SolidBurn, which isn’t even a needed feature, or whether they were only sort of turning it off, and never really fixing the problem. Hum…

So, in those old conversatioins, when people said they turned SolidBurn off, did they mean OFF/OFF and not just OFF/ON? Did Francksoy or anyone else do slowdown tests with SB = OFF/OFF? :confused:

You’re saying BCDC and BCDB firmware, but didn’t the slowdown to 4x problem first materialize in the BCHC/BCIC and BCHB/BCIB firmwares?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2182220]You’re saying BCDC and BCDB firmware, but didn’t the slowdown to 4x problem first materialize in the BCHC/BCIC and BCHB/BCIB firmwares?[/QUOTE]

No, I said firmwares past BCDC and BCDB.

[quote=negritude;2182239]No, I said firmwares [B]past[/B] BCDC and BCDB.[/quote] Right. I misunderstood your original post.

Yep, I’m pretty sure now that setting SB=OFF/OFF will fix the slowdown problem found with BCHC/BCIC (DW1650) and BCHB/BCIB (DW1655).