Thinking of buying a GSA-4082B

I recently bought a BenQ DW800A without knowing it was only a + media burner and i bought 100 blank - media with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, i returned it to the store and ordered an LG 4082B instead. I’m not sure if its any good but as long as it burns my - dvds then i am happy. I dont want them to go to waste.
What do you guys think of this drive? I’ve never really owned a dvd burner before this so i’m a complete noob when it comes to dvd burning. Should i buy other brands or will this do? I’m also buying an LG because of its reasonable price… 95.99 :iagree: DW800A was 79.99

can someone maybe point me to some review sites i can read?

thank you

Are they Australian or Canadian dollars? GSA-4082B works like a typical LG optical drive. Good with good media, bad with bad media, no overspeed writing, no bitsetting for Plus media, etc.

Canadian dollars. I have some cheap no name brand -R media and 100 of them. Hopefully they would atleast burn even though its slow. You think 95 is a good price for Canadian dollar?

Thew 4082B is a decent burner. I had one before my current 4120B.

can you find out the media code of the cheap media (e.g., using DVDINFOPRO).

4082B as well as 4120B can work with cheap media. depending on which cheap media like all other burners. In any case, very cheap media is not recomended anyway with any burner as usually it turns our expensive on the long run.

Personally, I’d look for the sweet spot in the pricing. Here atm the LG 4120B is at that sweet spot. Unless the earlier drive really is better, I would rather pay the $20 or so extra for the newer drive (generally speaking, this is for any maufacturer). I’m sure the 4082B is a fine burner, but IMO i’d rather pay a bit extra for the 4120B (especially since 4120B can do bitsetting).

Cheap media isn’t really advisable, unless you plan to throw them away almost straight afterwards.

Merc

4082B was the only other drive they had in store other than the DW800A. Is 4120B about the same price range as 4082B? I dont mind paying a little more cash for a better drive. The only thing is that i doubt my local store will have it available.

What is LGs latest drive out?

GSA-4160B is the latest. If it’s not out yet, it’s been available only to large OEM buyers for now. 4160B was scheduled to be released to retail by late August or early September which is now. The price difference of 4082B and 4120B is very small, but 4120B can write at 12x while 4082B can write only at 4x to some media like RICOHJPNR02 and YUDEN000T02. Not to mention DVD+R DL and DVD-RAM 5x.

I personally would go with the 4120. It is an excellent drive with more features than the 4082. As well, it is only SLIGHTLY more expensive. You can buy it from these guys:
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/ for a very reasonable $112CDN. This retailer is in my home town and they offer excellent service and are very honest.

This is the cheapest I have seen this drive in Canada so far.

I am using Maxell DVD-R4x and Memorex 4X DVD-R Could this be Why i can’t burn disc’s I got them at Future Shop on Sale.

If you can’t burn them at all, it’s probably due to drive fault or software issue.

the 4120 is available at ncix for $105.99(www.ncix.com) on there labour day sale.
i have this drive and have mixed feelings about it. it is not overly reliable on the discs i have tried (have liteon burner with kprobe to test). it is quite picky about media. the reason i bought it is due to dvd-ram support, but if you’re not concerned about that i think a nec nd2510 would be a better buy or maybe a pioneer.

you were asking about the 4082B.

if you can buy the 4120B then it is preferable as quite a few people mentioned here.

great! after arguing with my local computer store, i finally convinced him to give me a refund of my BenQ with 20% restocking fee. I checked other locations and found a 4120b for only $119 so i went for it. It doesnt seem to be so picky with media since i was able to burn my cheap ones just fine at 4x. I guess it was worth all the trouble. :slight_smile:

thanx guys… for any further assistance i’ll just keep posting here.

I’ve updated to A208 firmware for LG4082 and still cannot burn DVD’s beyond 4X? I had purchased an OEM drive and even at the A207 update could not burn beyond 4X. Even updated mb bios did not help!

Tech. support from LG is useless, no acknowledgement or response.

Can anyone help?

I just bought for a friend am LG4163 for $56.95 Canadian dollars. Take it back.

http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=category&catid=26&mcid=3

It’s faster and easier here than contacting LG for such problems even though company employees are paid and we are not.

Post what your DVD Identifier says about the media you’ve tried. You have to use media like YUDEN000T02, TYG02, MCC003, RICOHJPNR02 to burn at 8x.

I’ve tried VAKOSS 8X -R and BENQ 8X +R.

This is what it says for the VAKOSS,

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF01]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This is what it says for the BENQ

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:DAXON-AZ2-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]