Thinking its time to upgrade my two year old build. Suggestions please!

vbimport

Heres my old build below

Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case- B[/B]

ASUS P5Q SE/R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard- U[/U]

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz- U[/U]

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2-[8GB Worth]- U[/U]

VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB- U[/U]

Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler- B[/B]

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W- B[/B]

LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive- B[/B]

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner- B[/B]

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port- B[/B]

Seagate Barracuda-1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s & 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s- U[/U]

Im thinking Id like to upgrade the cpu to

and in doing that I believe I would then need a new mobo,correct? If yes, I do like the Asus line as it has been very solid for me. I am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

I am also looking at having to get new memory cards since mine are DDR2 and the mobos all seem to use DDR3 as the standard now. Thinking about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 but I really would like to spend less on the memory but stay with a trusted brand

Thinking this should fill my needs since Im not a big gamer on computer (have a few PS3s for that…lol) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858

I think Id like to add another hard drive and some small fans and I think that would do. If anyone has any better suggestions or any ideas at all please feel free to comment. Thanks!

Honestly all those choices would be a down-grade :eek:

Your current cpu is a quad core and the one you chose is dual. The video card is also a tad slower (or more) than your current one which is quite capable.

Since you have a great cooler I would suggest overclocking the cpu a little, to like 3.2Ghz (it won’t even break a sweat). The second upgrade would be upgrade your boot drive to a SSD! That will breath new life into your PC, all programs will launch instantaneously and your boot time will be like 20 seconds. Personally I would get the 64GB model of This Series, but its up to you if you want to spend more.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2530604]Honestly all those choices would be a down-grade :eek:

Your current cpu is a quad core and the one you chose is dual. The video card is also a tad slower (or more) than your current one which is quite capable.

Since you have a great cooler I would suggest overclocking the cpu a little, to like 3.2Ghz (it won’t even break a sweat). The second upgrade would be upgrade your boot drive to a SSD! That will breath new life into your PC, all programs will launch instantaneously and your boot time will be like 20 seconds. Personally I would get the 64GB model of This Series, but its up to you if you want to spend more.[/QUOTE]

Wow, after looking everything over again…you’re right! I am interested in overclocking my build. As for the SSD though I run a dual boot at the moment and dont think that 64 or 80GB would be enough room for Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows.

Maybe I’ll just build a HTPC instead. Any suggestions on what to get for a solid HTPC?

HTPC:

BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
SeaSonic SS-400ET Bronze 400W ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Thats $424. Add a small micro ATX case, maybe a tuner card, maybe a wireless keyboard. The video built into this MB is powerful enough to pay 1080P video, so there is no need for a video card.

Hmm… I highly disagree here depending on what you want.

If you want a “pure” HTPC running a decent UI a (at least for now) nVidia based solution is probably best since that’s what works best in XBMC and in that case a tiny ION-platform will do just fine but you might as well go for a plain media player box that costs about a one third of the price for an ION solution.

If you want to do a lot with your HTPC, want to have raw performance and possibly support for XBMC you should have alook at the ASRock NetTop Core 100HT or something similar.
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/index.asp
The only bad thing I can see about the Asrock is that it uses VIA audio although that doesn’t matter if you use HDMI anyway also Fujitsu’s Q-series are similar.
//Danne

[QUOTE=eric93se;2530632]HTPC:

BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
SeaSonic SS-400ET Bronze 400W ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Thats $424. Add a small micro ATX case, maybe a tuner card, maybe a wireless keyboard. The video built into this MB is powerful enough to pay 1080P video, so there is no need for a video card.[/QUOTE]

I will give this a good look over. I do LOVE the price for certain. I have no experience with AMD, Biostar, or SeaSonic but I have heard good things about AMD. The other two are of good quality as well? I would need to add the wireless keyboard for certain and Blu Ray drive is a must for me as well. A TV Tuner card might be useful too. Any other suggestions?

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2530644]Hmm… I highly disagree here depending on what you want.

If you want a “pure” HTPC running a decent UI a (at least for now) nVidia based solution is probably best since that’s what works best in XBMC and in that case a tiny ION-platform will do just fine but you might as well go for a plain media player box that costs about a one third of the price for an ION solution.

If you want to do a lot with your HTPC, want to have raw performance and possibly support for XBMC you should have alook at the ASRock NetTop Core 100HT or something similar.
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/index.asp
The only bad thing I can see about the Asrock is that it uses VIA audio although that doesn’t matter if you use HDMI anyway also Fujitsu’s Q-series are similar.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Interesting response. I would gladly look over a list of what you think would make a “pure” HTPC. Do you have different parts/extras in mind? I have XBMC on my HP DV6 notebook but I have not used it yet. I have been using my two PS3s as my media stations and the content streamed via Tversity. I hear XBMC is far better as far as options and being able to customize things. I hope to build a solid performing HTCP and hope to do it for a price below $900

You can buy a remote for like 10 bucks on eBay

AMD is a no go if you want to run XBMC while Intel is being worked on (including acceleration).
//Danne

[QUOTE=jaewest1;2530767]I have no experience with AMD, Biostar, or SeaSonic but I have heard good things about AMD. The other two are of good quality as well? [/QUOTE]

In a word YES!!! they both are of very good quality. I only use Biostar mobo’s myself
in my own systems and use them in most of my builds that I sell and I’ve never had
a complaint on them yet. :disagree:

The SeaSonic brand of power supply is also a very good and reliable brand to have as
I’ve never read or heard very many complaints on them. If I’m not mistaken they also
build the power supply’s for the Corsair brand and I’ve had my Corsair power supply for
several years and it is still as strong as it was the day I put it in there. :iagree:

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2530777]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158009
You can buy a remote for like 10 bucks on eBay

AMD is a no go if you want to run XBMC while Intel is being worked on (including acceleration).
//Danne[/QUOTE]
That is a nice little HTPC but the draw back for me is no Blu Ray drive. Last year I replaced my DVDs with Blu Rays so Blu Ray drive is a must for me. Other than that, this is very nice.

[QUOTE=getit29;2530778]In a word YES!!! they both are of very good quality. I only use Biostar mobo’s myself
in my own systems and use them in most of my builds that I sell and I’ve never had
a complaint on them yet. :disagree:

The SeaSonic brand of power supply is also a very good and reliable brand to have as
I’ve never read or heard very many complaints on them. If I’m not mistaken they also
build the power supply’s for the Corsair brand and I’ve had my Corsair power supply for
several years and it is still as strong as it was the day I put it in there. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the conformation. I did some searching on them a few hours ago and they are quality parts.

There is no bluray-playback support (from real discs) yet so it’s useless if you want to run XBMC, if you have a look at Newegg there is such a model though.

Biostar are today quite small although their products seems to be quite good, not as solid as MSI, Gigabyte, Asus though.

I would personally go for Crucial, Corsair (Value Select) etc rather than G.Skill due to known better compatibility and bad experience with “odd” memory but the RAM suggested should work in theory.

If you want a silent HTPC ditch the 3.5" and go for a 2.5" drive or SSD, USB / whatever.

//Danne

//Danne