Thinking about a new cpu

vbimport

My mobo i’m getting supports Northwood Prescott & Williamette up to 3.4GHz so which one should I get for bets oc capability coolest running??
All suggestions are welcome??

I have heard that the prescott run hot I have a northwood right now and it runs super cool

Joe

To be honest you are just wasting money. Pentium 4 is an old platform and it’s falling behind which it times to performance, save your money and get new motherboard, ram and a CPU. It’s a bit more expensive but you’ll quite a bit more performance.
//Danne

I know but there are soooooooooo many choices and I just got on newegg and almost pulled my hair out. I want to build a new ssytem now & I have the money & I know how but it is just too stressful I wish I had someone to help me with decisions on all of the parts

sorry I’m not trying to post & run but I;m in the middle of oblivion right now

joe

If you haven’t bought the motherboard yet, I would stick to the newer dual core systems, even on a budget. You can get amd dual core cpu’s quite cheap and even intel seems to be dropping the prices on their dual core’s to get more competitive with amd on the low end.

Tell us you budget and what your going to use the system for and we will see what we can do. :wink:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2121746]Tell us you budget and what your going to use the system for and we will see what we can do. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ok well since I can’t use my Gskill PC3200 I guess I will have to get everytinng new so here goes Also I want to get a good motherboard so It can be upgraded so let’s say that I can’t afford a good cpu and a lot of ram so at least if Ihave a good mobo then I can get a lower line cpu and maybe 1-2 gb of ram that can be upgraded ;ater to save money you see what I am saying but the mobo must be the best one I can afford I would say that I if possible waoul like to at least get the system running for %500-$600 I Can buy more hdd’s later and more ram later I just care about quality stuff that can be [B]overclocked a must[/B]

I want to have at least
1-2 Ide channels for optical drives
4 (S)ata channel cause I want to hook up 4 sata hard drives
no onboard video [B]I want to go with ATI videocard[/B], I don’t want nvidia
I don’t know anything about amd so I’m going to have to go with intel CPU
good overclockable ram maybe just 2Gb for now (Dual channel)
I would like mymotherboard to be from a company that has good bios support that has a good user friendly updated all the time website (Asus maybe??)I’m thinking about going for the 74GB raptors for my hdds butI basically need help with the mobo & cpu and since I am going with new then let’s make sure that it is capable of taking a quad core cpu?? Is amd the same as intel as far as overclocking goes as saying that it has a multiplier and voltage adjustments that do the oc’ing

Thanks guys

oh btw I need a case too & I think I want to hook up 4 optical drives I’m not going with water cooling just fans

joe

@ eric93se I if possible want to use this system for gaming I alreafdy have my other slower rig for basic stuff so I need a decent gaming rig that won’t break me if possible that is upgradable with newer cpu’s that is the most important to me being able to upgrade to newer cpu’s so if you can take the scare out of me from not knowing about amd then I would rather have it because I know the cpu’s are better

Also I would like a good Antec psu unless you know of a better one but I hear about a lot of psu related problems and I know antec makes a good psu I have one now and haven’t had one problem with it in 3 years well really 2 years

Okay mr picky man, this is a very OC’able MB and can run crossfire when you want a graphics boost, but your starting out with a very fast video card already. The Antec sonata case is very good it comes with a high quality 500W PSU, I’m currently using the first revision of the sonata and still like it a lot. The E5200 is brand new from intel, its 45nm, and got 2mb L2 cache so it will run cool and work great for gaming (not to mention OC like a Mo-Fo), there is a cheaper one but you would only save 20 bucks on it and it wouldn’t be 45nm. There are two rebates totaling 80 bucks, that will bring the price back down to ~$520. The video card comes with a game that you can sell on ebay for atleast 20 bucks. Realize that people still like your old PC junk and will buy it on ebay. Sell the cpu with MB as a combo and sell the ram seperatly, you will be surprised, if you keep it longer it will turn into a paper weight. The stock cpu cooler will let you OC a little but don’t expect a big OC with it, intel intentionally made it smaller since the new 45nm chips run cooler, so you might want to get another cooler later on.

Wow kick ass man thanks all Will you email the link to this and what ram should I get??

nevermind I can do a little work

Thanks a lot for your help

What do you think about this cpu??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115018

What does 45-65nm mean??

If possible I would like to slap QUAD CORE in it :bigsmile: WHAMM

If you have the money, a quad core is certainly better.

What does 45-65nm mean??

Its not to easy to explain if you dont understand about the basic way a CPU/chip is made, but to put it very basically, its the size of the ‘process’ that is used to ‘draw/make’ the tracks/parts/components of the CPU …the gates in the CMOS are 25% smaller in a 65nm over 90nm.
So that more chips can be made from the same silicon ingot, and use less power, and cost less to make…

I know I’ve asked this before but for sure a motherboard that has an NForce nvidia chipset/north/southbridge can handle an ati videocard??

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2122414]Its not to easy to explain if you dont understand about the basic way a CPU/chip is made, but to put it very basically, its the size of the ‘process’ that is used to ‘draw/make’ the tracks/parts/components of the CPU …the gates in the CMOS are 25% smaller in a 65nm over 90nm.
So that more chips can be made from the same silicon ingot, and use less power, and cost less to make…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65_nanometer[/QUOTE]

So smaller # means cooler chip??

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2122430]I know I’ve asked this before but for sure a motherboard that has an NForce nvidia chipset/north/southbridge can handle an ati videocard??[/QUOTE]

all depends on the socket type, old stuff is usually AGP, all new stuff is PCIx16.

45nm doesn’t necessarily mean cooler, in Intels case it does and we’ll see when AMD makes 45nm if its cooler or not. Its all about minitureization, the smaller the part the cheaper it is to make.

The Q6600 is old and not worth gettings, runs hot, uses a lot of power. The brand new budget quad core is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200. The price might drop 10-20 bucks in the next month or two.

This OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 ram is 20 bucks after rebate. The SLI part is just a gimmick, it works like all other ram and with crossfire as well.