These JVC (TY) -R DL Discs are, uh, NOT GOOD!

vbimport

WOW - I have never made so many coasters in my life! I am using a standalone Pioneer DVR-650H-K HDD DVD recorder and I have always used either TY shiny silver or Verbatim discs in the past. As my HDD was getting full and I have a big VHS-HDD-DVD burn project coming up for a friend’s home movies I decided to create some room. I bought 2 10-packs of JVC (TY) DVD-R DL (model # VD-R85HG10) and almost half of them are bad. The Pioneer says that the disc has 7.9 GB capacity but the disc is supposed to be 8.5 - is the .6 GB being used to create the menu, titles, thumbnails etc.? If I try to record any more than 7.3 GB when I play the disc(s) back on my OPPO standalone player it will not chapter advance beyond the 1st title and the disc menu is extremely slow to respond. I also cannot select “Title 3” from the disc menu.

I am done with these JVC/TY whatever discs. I now need to find a replacement brand. Probably Verbatim or FalconMedia, based on what I have read here. The problem is, I don’t need a 50-pack spindle - I only need about 20-30 more discs. Any recommendations, both for disc brand and online stores? I don’t need printable discs either.

Maybe this FalconMedia Shiny Silver 8X DVD+R Dual Layer Media 20 Pack in Cake Box at SuperMediaStore.com for $16.99?

Btw, my PC’s burner is a 9-year old MSI 4x that will be replaced one day, when my finances have improved.

Compatibility with DVD-R DL is universally bad across all recorders/burners and players.

-R DL disks capacity: 7.957 GiB

So your disks are showing no discrepancy on size.

As CDan states, support for -R DL is not very good, which is why we don’t recommend them.

You can buy Verbatim +R DL in 20 packs. For example: http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/verbatim-95310-dvd-plus-r-double-layer-media-20-pack?max=15&brand=VERBATIM&offset=0

Those falcons you linked to are the corporate grade you should get the pro line instead.

[QUOTE=borat007;2516752]The Pioneer says that the disc has 7.9 GB capacity but the disc is supposed to be 8.5 [/QUOTE] This is a result of disc manufacturers and equipment manufacturers using different definitions of Kilobytes, Megabytes, and Gigabytes.

The decimal prefix definition uses kilo=1000, mega=10001000, and giga=10001000*1000

The binary prefix definition uses kilo=1024, mega=10241024, and giga=10241024*1024
Alternatively, the binary prefixes are named: Kibi, Mebi, and Gibi.

The 8.5 GB is the decimal prefix definition, meaning (at least) 8,500,000,000 bytes. This is equal to 7.916 Gibibytes (binary Gigabytes).

So the 0.6 Gigabytes isn’t lost to formating or any such thing - they are “lost” due to different definitions being used.

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2516760]Those falcons you linked to are the corporate grade you should get the pro line instead.[/QUOTE]

This is good to know. Do you know if SMS.com (or somewhere else) carries them in a 20-pack? Is there really that much difference in quality?

I have only seen them in a 50 pack I know SMS sells them, not sure on how different the quality is.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2516759] -R DL disks capacity: 7.957 GiB

So your disks are showing no discrepancy on size.

As CDan states, support for -R DL is not very good, which is why we don’t recommend them.[/quote]

Thank you for skewlin’ me!:cool:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2516759]You can buy Verbatim +R DL in 20 packs. For example: http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/verbatim-95310-dvd-plus-r-double-layer-media-20-pack?max=15&brand=VERBATIM&offset=0[/QUOTE]

Meritline has a 30-pack of Verbatim (96542) DVD+R Dual Layer (DL) 8X Silver Branded for $39.99 and free S&H. Does this look like a good value (30 should be enough)?

^The Meritline deal looks fine to me if you plan on using them in the Pioneer recorder.

Does your old MSI drive support DL media at all? Even if it has support for DL media (unlikely), I seriously doubt it will work with the newer 8x version of Verbatim DL. I linked the older style 2.4x-6x Verbatim DL.

AFAIK, my old MSI 4x burner does not support DL media but I have never tried. It burns 8x single layer discs fine but I really don’t use it too much (an occasional Top Gear episode). Maybe some day. I would be using the 8x Verbatims in my Pioneer standalone. I have to remember to check the disc speed from now on!

:a AAAGGHHH!!!:a
I just got another JVC coaster. The Pioneer standalone said that the programs that I am going to copy equaled 7.1 GB - - if the JVC discs are supposed to have 7.9 GB capacity then why can’t it record “only” 7.1?? It played the first 1-10 programs fine but when I used the disc menu to select progs that were further into the disc I could see the thumbnail and title but when I hit enter nothing happens (this is on my OPPO DV-981HD standalone player).

Unless the Pioneer is the culprit and the reported program size is waaayyy off…

[QUOTE=borat007;2516773]
Meritline has a 30-pack of Verbatim (96542) DVD+R Dual Layer (DL) 8X Silver Branded for $39.99 and free S&H. Does this look like a good value (30 should be enough)?[/QUOTE]

Amazon has a better price - $34.99 + Free S&H for the same 30-pack. Plus, I have a $25 gift card for Amazon so my price will be just $10.99 >>[i]Edit:[/i] Make that total for me $12.99 as I am a WA state resident and Amazon charges WA state sales tax to us lucky folks.

The problem with my JVC -R discs not playing (for the most part) in my OPPO DV-981HD standalone player appears to be this:

“DVD-/R/RW media is supported. Unfortunately the player was designed with DVD+R DL media support. It will likely not work with DVD-R media reliably. This unfortunately can’t be addressed through firmware.”

This is from OPPO Customer Service. The discs play OK in my standalone Pioneer HDD DVD recorder. I typically don’t use the Pioneer for DVD playback b/c (1) I’m not too crazy about the remote layout & menu and (2) it’s a Canadian model and I am being extra careful to “preserve” it’s life by primarily using it for the HDD & DVD burner.

I’ve only seen Verbatim DVD+R DL media in 1pack jewelcases, 5er pack jewerl cases, 10 pack jewelcases or 10pcs spindle, 25er pack and 50er spindle.

[QUOTE=chef;2516958]I’ve only seen Verbatim DVD+R DL media in 1pack jewelcases, 5er pack jewerl cases, 10 pack jewelcases or 10pcs spindle, 25er pack and 50er spindle.[/QUOTE]

Verbatim.com 30-pack Verbatim DVD+R 8x link

Amazon.com’s page for the 30-pack Verbatim DVD+R 8x link

30 disc packs can mostly be found in Asia and sometimes North America.

[QUOTE=borat007;2517032]Verbatim.com 30-pack Verbatim DVD+R 8x link

Amazon.com’s page for the 30-pack Verbatim DVD+R 8x link[/QUOTE]

Bought a pack of these from fry’s for $28… no good… very high PF spikes on the 2nd layer… dropouts on standalone player… burned on a working Plextor 760 drive. These disks are no good!

What is “PF spike”? I bought the 30-pack but have not used any yet. I plan to use them mostly on Pioneer standalone burner (DVR-650H-K).

[QUOTE=EEngineer;2519112]Bought a pack of these from fry’s for $28… no good… very high PF spikes on the 2nd layer… dropouts on standalone player… burned on a working Plextor 760 drive. These disks are no good![/QUOTE]

Must be a bad batch, never had a problem with Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL discs. I almost always go for the 2.4x variant and burn at 4x (since my drives can do it) since I get better results (and they’re cheaper!) with them believe it or not. But these 8x discs should have great compatibility with most drives out there, including the TS’ standalone recorder…

[QUOTE=borat007;2519114]What is “PF spike”? I bought the 30-pack but have not used any yet. I plan to use them mostly on Pioneer standalone burner (DVR-650H-K).[/QUOTE]

A PF is a data read back failure detected on a burned disk by disc quality scanning software. Although it is normal to find some on all discs, high spike values (100-500 failures) in certain blocks of data indicated a bad disc which will have or will soon have problems during playback.