These 10 Vehicles Have Been Deemed the Deadliest on the Road

vbimport

These 10 Vehicles Have Been Deemed the Deadliest on the Road

It takes years for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) to compile and organize the statistics for crash deaths and the vehicles in which drivers met their end. However, the latest report tracked model-year automobiles up to 2008, allowing the IIHS to deliver stats that included traffic accident data through 2009 .What do you think?

The auto safety agency ran the numbers on all vehicles with 100,000 registrations or more between 2006 and 2009, counting only the deaths of the driver (not passengers) in their statistics. In the end, the IIHS calculated a ratio of “driver death per million registered vehicles.” Needless to say, drivers shopping for used vehicles more than four years old would be advised to check the list, which we’ve laid out for your perusal below.What do you think?

Here are the 10 vehicles that involved the highest number of deaths per million registrations.

Wonder if anyone has compiled statistics for Europe?

Maybe the reason for the higher death rates are those vehicles attract bad drivers and it isn’t the vehicle’s fault for the bad record. I wonder what the crash rating is for these vehicles?

Most of those cars are just crappy handeling econo transportation apliances, some pickups that probably attach young male drivers, with more guts then experience, and a few high or semi high performance cars that probably atract low performance drivers.
I don’t think young drivers these days are actually taught how to drive, just how to point a car in a general direction.
I learned to drive in a old military jeep, a military powerwagon pickup, and my Dart which I kept upgrading and then having to relearn how to drive it again.
I used to take it to big parking lots during snowstorms to do cookies and play. That taught me what the car will do in bad situations and how to correct it, or make it worse just for fun:cool:
I’ve had all kinds of bad situations pop up while driving and I have learned to drive out of them and not hammer the brakes and loose it.
If a car is crap, or super twitchy high perfomance it just makes it worse. My Dart will drive right out from under you given the right situation and it happens fast, if you don’t know what to do your just along for the ride.

My learning to drive vehicle was a 1941 Chevrolet pickup.
Factory 4 on the floor.first gear a non-syncronized “granny” gear .

I also did the parking lot snow & ice practice .
I’ve also driven a few cars whose rear end could pass the front if you didn’t know what you were doing.
I learned to shift a three on the tree in my dads 1955 Apache pickup.

Best way to learn how to control a car, and have a massive amount of fun, is to fly around an empty, snow covered parking lot in a rear wheel drive, V-8 powered vehicle with a limited slip differential.

One of the upgrades to my Dart over the years was a 3.23 powerlock sure grip, a clutch type limited slip.
That was one of the times I had to relearn how to drive it:eek:. I can make very quick u turns in the rain now, and pitch it sideways and hold the ass out, great fun.
First time i drove it after the install I gassed it like I always did going around a right corner and it just snapped out and did a 180 with me counter steering like crazy. I finally decided nothing was working and got off the gas and it just stopped right there a few feet from a pole.
I cleaned my shorts and asked my friend why he never warned me about the massive oversteer in wet conditions.
I quickly learned how and when to snap it around and do those uturns and drifts but it was way different then how the car reacted easily and predictably before.
Need to put it back on the road someday, I miss the stupidity:iagree:

I have a Mustang in the garage that I factory ordered in 1989. Over the years it has seen some changes. I put a Kenne Bell twinscrew blower on it running 16 pounds of boost and then spent the next year beefing up the drive train to handle the torque. I started building a 351W stroker motor but haven’t finished it. I am torn between keeping it or buying a new Mustang. I think in the end I will get it running, drive it awhile and then sell it. The new Mustangs are real ass kickers and having a V-8 convertible again would be enjoyable.

[QUOTE=UTR;2745796]Maybe the reason for the higher death rates are those vehicles attract bad drivers and it isn’t the vehicle’s fault for the bad record. I wonder what the crash rating is for these vehicles?[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with that as the top one is a high performance sports car plus it’s a strange way of doing the statistics.

They should really be looking at the percentage of fatal crashes out of all crashes not just total fatal crashes as this doesn’t factor in the number of cars sold either.

For example, there could be ten times as many of a particular car on the road but only twice the number of fatal crashes involving that car so in reality it’s safer despite the higher total number of fatal crashes.

[B]Wombler[/B]