There it goes again... (716A->Dying!)

After about 7 months of mild use, my 716A has started to go off again!

It’s had increasing trouble with the early/middle sectors; The first few cylinders right after the lead in would just be a huge error spike, up in the 800’s in the PI/PO test, with a very off-kilter Beta and very high Jitter ratings.

Then things settle down 'til about the 1.5GB Mark, where it just goes totally ape-shit until about half-way (Jitter and PIE goes through the roof, hitting over 1000 for the PIE!!), at which point it drops back to its expected sub-1- PIEs!!!

Should I even bother RMA’ing this thing?! It’d be my fifth drive by my reckoning…

Or should I just get something else?
Any suggestions on that one? I’ve gone off Plextor a bit, and given their new drivers are decidedly Linux-unfriendly, that removes a lot of the reason for going with them. In fact, the only one left really is their support, which is excellent, but even awesome support can’t turn a pig’s ear into a decent dual-layer DVD burner…!

I just bought a 716A and burned my first Taiyo DVD-R with it. I did a quick Pi/Po test and saw some interesting results. It certainly doesn’t look as good as my NEC 3520.

The graph looks somewhat like this throughout the DVD-R:

…####…
…##########…
#…##########…
##…###########…
############################################

Is this the same thing you’re experiencing? On a related note, if I’m not actively using Plextools, should I not have the program running when burning with a different app?

Robert

What speed are you burning that TYG02 at? I wouldn’t go above 8x.

Valnar: Yes! Like that, although the peak is slightly more to the left and a LOT taller…

Here’s an example - A burn of the most recent Knoppix4 EN DVD ISO.

Looks more like media issues. If the laser or mechanics were flaky the whole write would be off or the servos would error out.

A’hah! But I have an NEC 3520A which burns this 8x TY media just fine.

Robert

I considered that, but this is the pattern with all media - Different manufacturers, DVD+R, -R, +R DL, CDR, CDRW…

On some it’s less pronounced, but on ALL of them this ‘error spike’ pattern is there :frowning: