There are too many "Read First" threads in the Consumer Electronics Forum

vbimport

Hello,

In the Consumer Electronics Forum, approximately half of the threads on the first page are “Read First”. While it’s great that there’s a lot of information and guides available on various topics, I have to scroll down to see new threads.

If all of the "Read First"s were replaced with one “Read First” dedicated to links on the guides of previous “Read First” threads, would that be any better?

[QUOTE=Ostratego;2714748]Hello,

In the Consumer Electronics Forum, approximately half of the threads on the first page are “Read First”. While it’s great that there’s a lot of information and guides available on various topics, I have to scroll down to see new threads.

If all of the "Read First"s were replaced with one “Read First” dedicated to links on the guides of previous “Read First” threads, would that be any better?[/QUOTE]

Yo-

You are so spot on regarding the vast number of “Read Firsts” but the problems in the Consumer Electronics Forum seem to run much deeper.

The entire forum is in complete disarray - and unfortunately nobody seems to care and/or give a shit if it is ever organized into a viable - living forum.

I have written suggestions to the moderator - and unfortunately was not even given a short reply = disappointing - as all I asked for was adding a subforum “Photos You Have Taken”

Good luck getting a reply for your question. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Ostratego;2714748]Hello,

If all of the "Read First"s were replaced with one “Read First” dedicated to links on the guides of previous “Read First” threads, would that be any better?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ostratego for raising this query and for those very constructive remarks.

bigmike7 hasn’t explained the history to this so perhaps I’d better clarify.

The ‘Consumer Electronics’ forum has been subject to many changes and various other forums have at one stage been merged into it including a ‘Digital Camera’ forum which wasn’t viable by itself.

Despite continued efforts from the staff these various merged forums weren’t generating enough posts and were therefore unsustainable on their own.

Our moderator for the reformulated Consumer Electronics forum, Platinumsword, has done his best to accommodate all these various additions and I know the stickies were previously reorganised and consolidated to reduce their number following some of these changes.

It would seem however to be the case that these need looked at again and I can certainly check this out for you.

If you’ve any further thoughts on Myce please let us know as we’d be very glad to hear them.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Working on a solution.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2714882]Working on a solution.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for coming back so quickly platinumsword and I’m sure there’s something we can work out together.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2714861]Thanks Ostratego for raising this query and for those very constructive remarks.

bigmike7 hasn’t explained the history to this so perhaps I’d better clarify.

The ‘Consumer Electronics’ forum has been subject to many changes and various other forums have at one stage been merged into it including a ‘Digital Camera’ forum which wasn’t viable by itself.

Despite continued efforts from the staff these various merged forums weren’t generating enough posts and were therefore unsustainable on their own.

Our moderator for the reformulated Consumer Electronics forum, Platinumsword, has done his best to accommodate all these various additions and I know the stickies were previously reorganised and consolidated to reduce their number following some of these changes.

It would seem however to be the case that these need looked at again and I can certainly check this out for you.

If you’ve any further thoughts on Myce please let us know as we’d be very glad to hear them.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yo Stephen-

We change our name from CDFreaks to MyCE (My [B]Consumer Electronics[/B]) and you come up with a enemic answer/explanation like that - you ought to be ashamed of yourself!!

The plain/simple truth - is just like I stated = [B][I]Administration does not care/give a shit about the Consumer Electronics Forum[/I][/B] - so why are you trying to sugar coat something that has lingered so long and been ignored??

Maybe with a good cleanup/organization there would be more participation - but with our dwindling participation by all our members across all of the forums - maybe not.

Mike, we’ve changed the focus of the site to computer storage a long time ago already. You can notice that on the news subjects and the reviews. So Stephen’s reply is certainly not something to be ‘ashamed’ of.

At the moment we have a lot going on. As with everything, we have limited resources and many things to do. Especially because of the enormous mess that was left by the former management on which we’ve spend lot’s of time to clean up.

So sometimes things don’t get the attention it deserves. Therefore it’s very valuable if someone points it out, that way we can consider it and take appropriate action.

Something we will now do based on this report. Thanks for taking the time to write this post Ostratego!

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2714920]Mike, we’ve changed the focus of the site to computer storage a long time ago already. You can notice that on the news subjects and the reviews. So Stephen’s reply is certainly not something to be ‘ashamed’ of.

At the moment we have a lot going on. As with everything, we have limited resources and many things to do. Especially because of the enormous mess that was left by the former management on which we’ve spend lot’s of time to clean up.

So sometimes things don’t get the attention it deserves. Therefore it’s very valuable if someone points it out, that way we can consider it and take appropriate action.

Something we will now do based on this report. Thanks for taking the time to write this post Ostratego![/QUOTE]

Yo JW-

I know that English is a second language for you - so I encourage you to go back and read my comments slowly and carefully - as my meaning is obviously different from what you appear to be interperting - OK.

Hi Mike,

Not sure, but might it be that you mean something different than you write? Else, I’m sorry, no matter how often I read, I think I don’t understand. I know you’ll have something witty to say about that, but I’m sorry, I can’t change that.

JW-

Your statement: [I]“Originally Posted by DoMiN8ToR [/I]
[I]Mike, we’ve changed the focus of the site to computer storage a long time ago already. You can notice that on the news subjects and the reviews. So Stephen’s reply is certainly not something to be ‘ashamed’ of.”[/I] leads me to believe that you think we all are talking about the whole MyCE site rather than the actual Consumer Electronics forum (in the Hardware Forum) - which is a shame since you are missing the points made.

(sorry that I wasn’t “witty” but I can’t think of anything in this discussion to be “witty” about)

I noticed this from bigmike7 :- [I]“with our dwindling participation by all our members across all of the forums”[/I] This is something I have noticed as well.
The consumer electronics forum is something I avoid 'cos it’s real messy. myCE ? If that’s what we are calling these forums and you can’t justify things like the camera forum due to lack of interest, perhaps the name is wrong?
I’ll go back to bigmike’s quote. It does seem that a core of people post on these forums mostly, now that’s not a bad thing in it’s self, but perhaps if the admin ask what people would like to talk about or discuss that just might be a help.
I’m sometimes put off posting because of one forum member seem to like to take the piss out of my posts, perhaps I’m being paranoid? But I’ve blocked the person now, but annoyingly the block has stopped working even when I’m logged in. OK, so I don’t have to read it.
We seem to communicate very well on trivia and some very interesting subjects, and the CD/DVD freaks part seems to do well. Great stuff, if you want to expand in to other subjects, more research is needed. SLR cameras are now a fairly specialized enthusiast thing overall, what do most of us use, yup, our smart phones.
The person that seems to harass my posts is obviously very young and of course never makes a mistake and knows all about everything. I hope they know who they are and stop, then I might post some more trash, at least I try, sorry if it’s not always that interesting.

We are very lucky, generally I think we have some incredibly knowledgeable people here from all over the world, which is fabulous thing to have, c’mon Guys, lets try that bit harder to make it work,
Resources? What about a little light advertising that’s relevant to the forum maybe?
(Off topic, I don’t own a Smart car any more, so perhaps I’m just Vox now) :slight_smile:

Yo all-

So - after all of the above back and forth - I receive the following Personal Message from JW (owner of the Forums):

[Removed, PM’s should stay private and only be posted with permission of the original author]

So - regardless how truthful your critisms of management are - you are cautioned not to rock the boat or dispute what management says - or else!!

I certainly DO NOT agree that my posts were rude - but rather pinpoint problems - including JW not understanding that the posts were about a particular forum within MyCE - NOT MyCE in general. But - unfortunately - he would rather throw up a smoke and mirrors denial rather than acknowledging that he was wrong - even though his posts clearly shows his misunderstanding.

The future will tell the story - does management address the faults of the Consumer Electronics Forum - or do they continue to give lip service to intent and lack of changes?

Mike, posting PM’s is something we never do without permission of the author. While my PM to you contained nothing that’s not suitable for the rest, I certainly don’t appreciate you posting them without asking me before.

Also, we fully understand your point about solely the Consumer Electronics Forum. I was trying to explain that we have limited resources and can’t address everything straight away.

With limited resources I mean, the forum is maintained by volunteers who voluntarily dedicate their time to the site, which we appreciate a lot. Improvements to the CE forum will require time of our staff and therefore this is something on our list now, but I can’t say when it’s ready at the moment.

I won’t go into the rest of what you’ve said about being rude. I’m still behind that and as I’ve told you, that’s the last time we tolerate that from you and if you weren’t such a long time, respected and loyal member things would have been different already.

For the record, as I’m the author, here’s the PM, this time with my permission. And since you already posted it, I guess you don’t mind.