There are 100 million Blu-ray players shipped - Got one?

vbimport

There are 100 million Blu-ray players shipped - Got one?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/11/hWoSrm.png[/newsimage]According to a research report the growth of Blu-ray players is slower than expected

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/there-are-100-million-blu-ray-players-shipped-got-one-64779/](http://www.myce.com/news/there-are-100-million-blu-ray-players-shipped-got-one-64779/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Got One? No.

1. Insert Blu-ray disc into BD-ROM drive
  2. Rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter
  3. Encode to MKV with Handbrake
  4. Store on NAS
  5. Play with Boxee media player

No Blu-ray player necessary.

I wouldn’t suggest buying a blu ray player now either. Since Cinavia was added to the AACS license, I think you really should rip your blu ray to a media player and playback your movies from there.

Actually buying a new BluRay Player is not a bad idea.
They’re cheap now (many under $100).
Most have a USB port and either WiFi or a wired net connection and they’ll still play your old DVDs and CDs. If your TV is more than a couple of years old it won’t have either WiFi or the ability to play video via USB.
As for those (like myself) who rip video from Disks just to get rid of the 45 minutes of Trailers, it’s a cheap way to hook up a hard drive to an older TV.
Now I just have to find someone foolish enough to buy my “Super Blu” player which has none of the new features but will play both BluRay andHD.

Does a PS3 count as Blu-Ray player?
If so,I’m in…:slight_smile:

I use my ps3 as a bluray player as well.

I’ll argue against the 4k comments though. I don’t think the world is ready for another physical format. The average TV size wouldn’t make 4k have alot of benefits and theres no content at the moment.

Obviously 4k will eventually take off, but you’ve still got alot of people that only went HD in the last 5 years and many of which who don’t actually give a crap about watching HD content on them. 4k vs 1080p is neglible on a TV thats less than 70 or 80inches. Maybe it’ll be a niche product like laserdisc?

You bet. I love my blu ray player any movie buff should. It’s the best format for quality with no competition on that level.
My BR player is also my MKV player and quality is amazing, because XBOX still won’t support MKV.

I kinda agree with the 4K comment. All they’re really saying is when 4K is adopted then blu ray should benefit and that is correct, because it’s the most compatible format that best supports it. Thats really only because of storage capacity. I agree it is too soon for significant adoption, but tech changes also tend to sometime be exponential rather than linear. It may be easier and faster to adopt 4k than it was for 720/1080.

When I played Xbox in a movie cinema recently the 1080 output was blurry. Made me realize 4k could be useful. It wont be long before those 150" plasma or led TVs are affordable.

Dragemester you forgot # 6) hang your head in shame and guilt for copying all the movies you own. Or are you gonna tell me you bought them but don’t want to use a BR player?

[QUOTE=ivid;2664044]Dragemester you forgot # 6) hang your head in shame and guilt for copying all the movies you own.[/QUOTE] Speak for yourself instead of accusing others of pirating everything.

Or are you gonna tell me you bought them but don’t want to use a BR player?
Yes. I have within the last 3 months transferred [B]all[/B] my DVDs to MP4/MKV files on a NAS in order to play everything from a media player without having to hunt through loads of optical discs.

Now I’ve also very recently started buying Blu-ray discs, and I will not be playing the optical discs in a Blu-ray player, but rather will be converting them to MP4/MKV files and play those.

If I couldn’t convert Blu-ray discs to be playable from a media player, I wouldn’t have started buying Blu-ray discs at all.

Perhaps the slow growth is due, not to online streaming, but due to the fact that BD’s are expensive, with only a limited benefit. Really, the only reason for the fact that BDs have better quality than DVDs is the fact that they have more storage, and better compression. Resolution doesn’t make as big a difference as people assume.

Also, Kerry56 pointed out, I doubt Cinevia will have a positive effect on the sales of BD players. That said, I don’t have one, neither do I plan on getting one.

Also:

[QUOTE=Zod;2663956]I use my ps3 as a bluray player as well.

I’ll argue against the 4k comments though. I don’t think the world is ready for another physical format. The average TV size wouldn’t make 4k have alot of benefits and theres no content at the moment.

Obviously 4k will eventually take off, but you’ve still got alot of people that only went HD in the last 5 years and many of which who don’t actually give a crap about watching HD content on them. 4k vs 1080p is neglible on a TV thats less than 70 or 80inches. Maybe it’ll be a niche product like laserdisc?[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t have said it better, myself.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2663929]Does a PS3 count as Blu-Ray player?
If so,I’m in…:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats the point.
They cxount the PS3 into that… :smiley:

Technology is rapidly changing faster everyday, With the advent of larger alternative storage choices, compression algorithms, scalers and on demand streaming. The future of blu-ray is questionable, maybe shorter lived then we may think.

:cool::cool:

I hope like hell it will be replaced by a solid state cartridge. Optical disks are overly prone to dust, fingerprints. scratches, ect., where the smallest blemish can ruin an entire disk. SS cartridges can be cleaned using compressed air, or a q-tip.

Ah, buying a BluRay external hardware player is fine, if you do buy movies on bluray, and rent stuff. If you don’t do that much, a mediaplayer like xtremer, popcorn hour etc is better.

HOWEVER, the best would be to combine both, mediaplayer like extremer + bluray player. That is what I am missing from the market. (I think they are out there but to expensive compared to using a computer for playback). Like a small cheap external computer that can playback media, is portable, has optical drive to read cds, dvds, blurays. Portable like small dvd-players. Perfect all-in-one machine.

P.S. Another bonus of having a cheap bluray player is that movies, TV-shows etc have come down in price fast, so they are not expencive to buy at the supermarket etc. Cheaper to download but compared to how high the prices was on DVDs, it has been way faster for price drops on blurays. That is nice.

I have both HD formats got a HD DVD player first when they went on firesale prices, then got a first gen Panasonic Blu Ray player cheap as a display when hd gave up. Have movies in both formats and the Panasonic is very slow to load but has yet to refuse to play any disk I feed it and the playback quality is flawless with a lot of user adjustments.
I also have a nice networked media player I use for pretty much everything now. I also have a HD Homerun prime for cable that also works through the network:bigsmile:
I doubt my player will ever support cinivia as the last update it got was August 2008 :cool:
And we can work around the rest of it.