There ain't no way to make RPC2 drives region free correct? Other then software solution

vbimport

Just want to confirm this, have been out of this whole scene for a long long time and in the past all I had to do was flash a drive with firmware that was region free and bob’s your uncle.

I now have an LG BH08LS20 BluRay writer and wondering is there any way to make this region free with firmware or is using AnyHDVD the only way?

Any freeware software that allows to play a region protected bluray/dvd straight away like AnyDVD? And I don’t mean rip etc.

Can VLC play any disc regardless of region protection?

All those EL02-05 firware available for the BH08 are just for rip/write/read speed increase?
Or is it actually possible to say make the drive RPC1 type and still retain all features besides lightscribe…

Thanks…

Search for MCSE by ala42.

[QUOTE=chef;2458745]Search for MCSE by ala42.[/QUOTE]

I have, MCSE will only make it region free for DVD’s and not BluRay discs correct ?

BD region protection is handled by the player software you use.

[QUOTE=ala42;2459077]BD region protection is handled by the player software you use.[/QUOTE]

So which players out there do not care for the region of the BluRay Disc ? VLC ?

I don’t believe you can play blu ray directly with VLC. Even with Media Player Classic Home Cinema you have to select the correct m2ts file for the main movie and give up menus.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2459127]I don’t believe you can play blu ray directly with VLC. Even with Media Player Classic Home Cinema you have to select the correct m2ts file for the main movie and give up menus.[/QUOTE]

So using AnyDVD HD and say PowerDVD is the only means of playing a BluRay disc which is not set to the region that your drive is locked to?

Any other software out there? Perhaps something open source and free ?

Not that I am aware of, no.

There are a few other media players that can handle Blu Ray, like Arcsoft Total Media Theater, and WinDVD, but they have the same limitations on regions.

I read a rumor a while back that Slysoft was working on their own media player, but I have nothing concrete to back that up. Maybe wishful thinking. :slight_smile: