There a simple straight fwd way to copy this dvd onto a cd

hello folks,
have come to the place where i hope people are knowledgeable and can help a neophyte. i commissioned some photos…expensive ones… but the moron that took them burned them onto a DVD instead of a cd… i need to get these onto a CD so i can print them etc… i have been thru the ranks for free dvd to cd software but, frankly, i don’t have ANY idea what any of it means… the jargon is meaningless to me. the question is… is there a simple straight fwd way to copy this dvd onto a cd so i can manipulate these images ? freeware is better obviously since this is a one time deal but will consider all… feel free to pm me direct at (email address edited out - use PM please).

No

Well, depends. Is it a dvd-video or just a data-dvd with lots of jpeg files on it?

Legal is one problem, fair is another…Your request doesn´t sound like it passes either test.
A photographer was commissioned to do this job…ask him/her to make the prints.

with all due respect, i have already paid for them once, and i am under no obligation to retain him to do further work for me. they are my images, commissioned by me , bought and paid for. if he had done what i asked him in the first place we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all. it is a dvd “video” that shows the images in slideshow format.

True

they are my images, commissioned by me , bought and paid for.
No, they are not your images. You have obtained the right to use them ,but they might still not be your images. Who took 'em? You or the photographer?

if he had done what i asked him in the first place we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all.
That’s where the fine print in the contract/agreement comes into place. Did you commisioned him to make a dvd full of jpegs or did you agree to this dvd video thingy?

it is a dvd “video” that shows the images in slideshow format.
That kinda limits our ability to make them jpeg’s again. You could use Fraps (just google for it) together with your dvd playback software on your dvd. This way you will be able to make an editable mpeg movie out of them. Tools like Google’s Picasa2 can make stills out of those.

PowerDVD which many users have can take snapshots of any frame in a DVD movie.

will try both. and for the record… in effect… i took him by the hand, and said " take THAT picture, now that, now that… etc. there is no original work on his part. the contract reads simply that he was to shoot what i told him and give me a CD of the results. i PRESUMED they would be jpegs … my mistake… but the fact is i owe him nothing. the " copyright" of the work , if i chose to have one would be mine and mine alone . but all this is off topic… i will try your suggestions and thank you for the help.