Them Shuttle bare bones units

vbimport

I wanna by one of those Shuttle bare bones units, but have query.
I also wanna buy an external box to house a combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive [LiteOn LTC-48161H] and DVD writer [Pioneer 106] together and connect to the Shuttle unit via firewire or USB. Now, would firewire or USB output fast enough to send info from the HD to the DVD writer to sustain a 4 speed write on the DVD writer or would it struggle? Also, could I do 4 speed on the fly?

The actual unit itself seems fast enough with these specs for what I require…

[b]The new SN41G2 incorporates GeForce4™ graphics, dual VGA outputs to drive two independent displays, Dolby® Digital 5.1 audio playback and an AGP 8X slot for future graphics expansion. For digital connectivity, the SN41G2 sports a S-Video-out, four USB 2.0, and three FireWire® ports for easy connection to high-speed digital cameras, MP3 players, and other popular digital consumer devices. The SN41G2 also makes use of Shuttle’s patented Integrated Cooling Engine technology (ICE), which allows the efficient cooling of high speed processors, such as the AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ (Athlon XP 333 MHz FSB CPU support), without the fan noise associated with traditional high-end PCs.

Shuttle XPC SN-41G2

AMD Socket A supports Upto: Upto Xp3000, athlon 1.4, duron 1.3
Shuttle I.C.E. heat-pipe technology, CPU temp. Autoguard
266/200MHz FSB CPU
Memory : DDR 200/266/333/400 x 2(Dual Channel)
IDE interface : ATA-133
VGA : Geforce4 MX, 128 MB VGA share memory
Audio : Realtek ALC650 6 Ch, Support Digital
Expansion Slots : PCI x 1, 8 x AGP x 1
Extension Bays : 5.25" x 1, 3.5" x 2
SPDIF Output
Front Panel:USB x 2,Headphone x 1, MIC x 1, 1394 x 1, SPDIF x 1
Back Panel : PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse x 1, Serial Port x 2, 1394 x 2, USB x 2, LAN x 1, VGA x 2, S-video x 1
Power: 200W (PFC)
Dimensions: (L)300 x (W)200 x (H)185mm
Weight: 2.85Kg [/b]

I would think so via usb2.0, but when multitasking expect to be slown down. If burner supports buffer underrun, ideally uyou shouldnt fear coasters, but it will slow down write speed realistically speaking. Also, DVD watchingmight be choppy if doing heavy workload in background. Also, doing stuff on the fly, just a guess to say …no

CPU, RAM, andmainboard are not what will contribute to this, cabling will.

I can’t say much about the external device. But about the Shuttle: a friend has the same unit and with current weather over here, that thing gets way too hot. The cooling isn’t sufficient to cool down his AMD XP (not overclocked). After about 30min-1hour, the PC simply shuts itself down. Even when idle! He used an additional 12cm fan-adaptor as well to suck away the hot air or blow in cooler air, but still no joy. After only 2 months of usage, he is going to sell the Shuttle and change it for a desktop.

I have a Shuttle too, but with a P4 cpu. The thermo-regulated fan doesn’t even run at full speed, even with this hot weather and when the CPU is overclocked :s No problems with overheating on that one. My friend’s AMD Shuttle makes much more noise too.

Just to let you know :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Wannez
[B]I can’t say much about the external device. But about the Shuttle: a friend has the same unit and with current weather over here, that thing gets way too hot. The cooling isn’t sufficient to cool down his AMD XP (not overclocked). After about 30min-1hour, the PC simply shuts itself down. Even when idle! He used an additional 12cm fan-adaptor as well to suck away the hot air or blow in cooler air, but still no joy. After only 2 months of usage, he is going to sell the Shuttle and change it for a desktop.

I have a Shuttle too, but with a P4 cpu. The thermo-regulated fan doesn’t even run at full speed, even with this hot weather and when the CPU is overclocked :s No problems with overheating on that one. My friend’s AMD Shuttle makes much more noise too.

Just to let you know :slight_smile: [/B]

Hmm strange, both the AMD and Intel versions got pretty good reviews!

About the firewire/usb question: both standards can be used for tasks like DVD writing and such. The theoretical maximum bandwith of USB2.0 is 480mbit, FireWire-A has “only” 400mbit.

I don’t know for sure, but as FireWire is based upon SCSI, I expect that it performs better when working with multiple devices at the same time. I’m not really sure about that, I see if I can find any worthful information!