The X299 VRM Disaster (by der8auer)

Please watch this before buying an X299 Mainboard _ Click on title to watch The X299 VRM Disaster (en)

I would love to watch it, but it’s not working!

Click on the Title

The X299 VRM Disaster (en) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BqAjC4ZCc

Thanks Alan, got it now.
Mmm, very disappointing. What a a right royal mess up. I’m glad I’m not updating anything for a very long time.

I like the part whe he says, “Prime 96 non AVX” :blush: i would like to see the temps with the AVX instructions :slight_smile:
We all said that intel rushed this X299, and this video makes it crystal clear to everyone how less time the motherboards vendors had to optimize their boards, the same applies for intel.
As I said i would like to see what happens when you OC the 18C/36T CPU, why do i get the feeling that intel will not release them very soon.
One last note, so far you need to delid your CPU and apply new thermal paste, something that very few people would want to do on a +1000 euro or dollars CPU, and no you have to also remove the heatsink on the VRM? really I would be spending 1300-1500 euros and i would have to do all this??? NO NO NO NO NO

AMD Ryzen or Z270 FTW.

The board will not last long with 100C temps on the VRM. I was looking forward to this but now I am considering the AMD 1800X or the New Threadripper CPU when it comes out.

The best option at the moment is to wait, a) most of the motherboard manufacturers will fix this, and probably have stickers that proudly stating that. b) you also need to wait, since threadrippes is also very new, and it will also have issues. c) now we all learn why intel did not allowed to overclock those xeons :wink:

If you want to be a beta tester, as i was with X99, you can go for x299 or threadripper, I am sure that a lot of issues on ryzen have been solved, and continue to be solved with future bios updates.
If you dont want to play with all that, stay with the Z170 that you have, and wait for z370 and theis 6c/12t CPUs, those should be more than enough for gaming, video conversion and what ever else most people need :wink:

I am pretty sure the Z370 wont be out until 2018 but I can wait, my Z170 is doing fine and it runs great at 4.4GHz.

I was also sure that any 6700K or 6600K CPU will do the job for 2018 (not that far away) also it could do the job for 2019 :wink:

Intel has to come out with a V2 of this X299 board, I haven’t read one good review yet. I bet they fix it and make it better.

Intel will have an update ont he bios side, not sure what can be done with the VRM, that will probably require a lot of work form the motherboard manufacturers, But I am sure that they will either force a BIOS update to force a more aggressive thermal throttle curve for the first generation of motherboard, or update most of them, put a new sticker and everyone should be happy.

Yes, almost all reviews are pretty negative, no surprises here. Intel really made a mess with x299 long before the VRM thing.

The whole situation just sounds bad for everyone. On the one hand, sure, Intel could be blamed but it is also expected that the vendors making X299 mobos actually test their products before releasing them? I’m going to put blame on both parties. The mobo manufacturers can’t get a pass on this. There are clear issues that fail basic logic.

Whether or not the Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X were rushed is simply not an acceptable excuse. Intel knew AMD was coming out with something new and I’m sure they were sitting back waiting to see how it performed. Maybe they bumped up the timeline but that doesn’t excuse due diligence. There was a basic failure with respect to thermal temps from the VRM and power draw and the mobo power connector not being enough especially when you are talking about an X processor.

On the one hand I’m glad that I finally built my new system and went with the i7 6700K and left myself a step behind as the 7th gen i7 was coming out because it meant everything had already been out for some time but on the other hand I almost wish I had been given the chance to pick between the newer Kaby Lake or Ryzen processors. I just might have given AMD a shot. Regardless, my upgrade was long overdue and I’m not regretting it.I also sidestepped the price increase on RAM having purchased everything at the end of 2016 before this changed.

You summed it up perfectly. But I do think Intel has to require the Motherboard manufacturers to revamp the whole line. They have to fix the heat issues and release a new product version, just an updated version and allow all the people that bought these boards to return them for the newer upgraded model. I am getting a new Ryzen 1800X from AMD, and I am building a test build , I have to see this for myself, for reasons I cant wrap my head around AMD being better than Intel, LOL, its been so long. LOL. ( the Opteron 185 ) was my last AMD build.

I agree completely with respect to a new design with better handling of power and heat. I also agree that if a person purchased one of the impacted mobos that they shouldn’t just be okay with BIOS updates that might alter throttling, etc. Returns and/or exchanges for an updated and better designed version of the board should be fully allowed. In the end it is a failure in design that is at fault. That’s on the vendors and not the end-user.

LOL. It’s been some time since AMD pulled a rabbit out of their hat and wasn’t playing catch-up. That, IMO, is why it’s hard for people to wrap their heads around it. I’ve never been anti-AMD. I’ve simply been disappointed in AMD be it for running hotter or simply not being comparable. Sure, cheaper is nice but if the cheaper AMD CPU simply doesn’t compete well with an Intel offering then is it really worth it? If Zen really lives up to the hype which it appears it definitely will then AMD just needs a little time for optimizations by developers and BIOS updates by vendors to deal with issues such as RAM compatibility, etc, as they are already doing. I definitely wouldn’t have an issue building a Ryzen-based system.

We are going to see when the Thread Ripper comes out. I am sure it will also have some issues but they will aoso make sure it not something that cant be fixed with a BIOS update. ( I assume) LOL

I just did a complete OCCT test for 3 hours and my VRM temp at 100% CPU usage never topped 67C, that said, software testing is not as fool proof as using hardware so its the best I could do, this was with my 6700K.

I don’t find it surprising that the VRM’s on X299 are struggling.
Intel designed this range of CPU’s with a quoted TDP of 140W.

In tests, the i9 ten core has been found to be pulling 300W when overclocked, so it’s hardly surprising that some VRM’s are getting hot.

Because this platform was rushed out, the board manufacturers are still using immature BIOS which get the CPU stable are likely using voltage settings that are higher than they need to be, and thus causing the CPU to draw much more power.

Once they learn how to control this new range of CPU’s with lower voltages, and thus draw less power. I’d expect the load on the VRM’s to be reduced considerably. So it’s quite likely that more mature BIOS will fix VRM issues.

One thing I will say, and someone very close to me predicted this a while ago.
And to quote him “The core wars will only end in tears for consumers who automatically think that more cores are better”.

Wendy , what about the Over Current Protection (OCP) Protection features exist against VRM overheating/overloading depending on motherboard model and brand. I know Asus used to have this or still does. I believe it is a crucial feature on motherboards today, because this is the function that will protect your VRMs from a catastrophic failure. The guy in the video said an 80mm fan would bring the temps down 40 degrees C. That would be a small fan on top of the VRM. Do you think that would help? Or can this really be solved by a BIOS update?