The watches thread

Who don’t’ own a watch rise the hand…

Only me? :bigsmile:

Ok, so you all have a watch. What is and why do you like it?

I personally had a watch a long time ago (this one), but after many years (more than 10) of faithful duty, it finally gave up, and I never was able to find another watch good like that, so I simply decided to not buy another one until I’ll find something good enough to deserve my wrist :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently I never was able to find the right compromise between being not ugly for the eye and having the right features for me. If I find the features, is definitely a :Z and if is nice it has no useful feature :doh:

In this thread we can discuss about watches, not only the one you have, but also the one you’d like to buy and why (what features make it so desirable?)

For me, I currently use the cellphone as substitute of watch, but sometimes I miss my old faithful Data Bank :bigsmile:

I would like to own a watch. They tend to break very easily on me. I think I am too brutal with them. Since I always know where north is I can usually tell the time within 15 minutes. Then again, I can always just pull out my cell pone.

I have a cheap Armitron watch with a silver face and silver frame, something like this one, though that is not an exact match.

Mine has a very heavy duty black leather band, which I stole from an older watch that died an early death.

I’m hard on watches, and have to replace them every year and a half to two years. Most of the time I just need something that has good shock resistance. Fashion is the least of my concerns. :slight_smile:

Ok, that example wasn’t close enough so I took picture of mine. As you can see, all I need is a utilitarian watch…not something fancy. (ps I’m a day behind on the calendar)

Also have no watch “attched”.

Because my handy (mobile) is most times with me and so many clocks around everywhere…

I like that watch Kerry :bigsmile:

It’s simple and perfectly readable, not like most of today’s manufactured watches, that are cluttered and totally incomprensible :doh:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2555695]Most of the time I just need something that has good shock resistance. Fashion is the least of my concerns. :)[/QUOTE]

The same for me, but I also add another feature: it must be lightweight enough to be barely noticeable on the wrist :eek:

Unusual idea for a thread :slight_smile:

I have a watch (a ladies’ silver one with a round greenish coloured face), but I only really wear it when I’m out and need to keep track of the time. Being an indoors girl, that ain’t often :wink:

It was a cheapy thing (~£8 or so) from Asda, so not sure I’d be able to find a pic online.

In general I find watches, rings etc annoying to wear all the time. But I do wear them on occasion. :slight_smile:

Yo-

I am a ‘sorta’ watch freak - but my son is a total ‘watch freak’ to the point that he has a collection of over [B][I][U]1000 WATCHES!!![/U][/I][/B] :eek:

He is a frequent buyer/seller on eBay - needless to say…

:eek: over 1000 watches?? A lot of space is needed to store them all :bigsmile:

Who don’t’ own a watch rise the hand…

My hour hand or my minute hand?

Can’t be without a watch.

Have a Pulsar and a Seiko for work, Tag Heuer and a TW Steel for weekends :cool:

I wear this most of the time…sorta helps me to not get too lost

I haven’t owned or worn a watch for over 20 years. The last one I had I traded for a rug in Morocco. I still have the rug. :slight_smile:

Somebody read ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy’ by chance? :smiley:

[QUOTE=chef;2556006]Somebody read ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy’ by chance? :D[/QUOTE]

It’s one of my favourite books. :bigsmile:

So, not necessary that i comment something from there about “digital hand watches” ? :smiley:

I haven’t worn a watch since i retired 4 years ago and not a lot before that because of cell phones.Now time flies so fast I’m afraid to look at the time.In fact I can’t keep track which day it is anymore,I see it on the computer and if I have a doctor appointment I’ll remember but other wise I forget.

screamin’ & cryin bout the BLUES

Have a few watches…see pic.
Had another one from Philippe Starck…but that broke down and cannot be replaced…still have to select one to replace it with (warranty).

Watches are a nice accessory…and do not necessarily have to be expensive. The most expensive watch I have is less than EUR 200 I believe… I like one particular Rado watch, but that one is more than thousand euros (couple of thousands even I believe)…and I am not spending that much money on a watch…

Having so many watches (also think about all the clocks in the house) does not mean I am obsessed by time :wink:

[QUOTE=geno888;2555832]:eek: over 1000 watches?? A lot of space is needed to store them all :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more about how often he needs to change batteries. :stuck_out_tongue: Some watches are a real pain to change its battery.

For me, I use to wear a watch in the past, but once I got my first mobile phone, I haven’t worn any since.

My older brother has a real problem with watches in that he has difficulty finding one that will work. I remember in the past seeing him try out and return one watch after another because they kept stopping. :confused: We never did figure out why. The strange thing was that once he took the watch off, it would start working again and the watch would work fine on anyone else’s wrist. I can’t remember what watch he has now, but at least he did eventually find one that works on his wrist.

[QUOTE=Seán;2556292]

My older brother has a real problem with watches in that he has difficulty finding one that will work. I remember in the past seeing him try out and return one watch after another because they kept stopping. :confused: We never did figure out why. The strange thing was that once he took the watch off, it would start working again and the watch would work fine on anyone else’s wrist. I can’t remember what watch he has now, but at least he did eventually find one that works on his wrist.[/QUOTE]
I have had the same problem with some watches. I think some people have a stronger “electrical” Field & this is the cause. I bet he has also had problems with some cards like store gift cards & the magnetic strip stops reading.
If he can find a leather watch band where the leather is between the watch & the skin it helps. Like a “bikers” style .Or old 70’s watch band.

I seldom wear a watch. I think I have about 15 though. I still have a Conga(from the movie) watch that was Taco Bell give away.
Heres a picture of 5 . The one in the middle is a Timex manual wind watch that I bought around 1975. It is still my main choice when I do wear a watch. Although it is water proof I wear the Certina divers watch if I’m going to be in the water & want a watch.