The W.Va. Mine Tradgedy

I know that this is old news, but maybe some of you havent heard. I, as a native of West Virginia, was greatly shaken by this accident. There was a tradgedy that occured this week in a mine in West Virginia. An explosion trapped 13 miners in the mine, all but one were found dead after 42 hours of intense digging, searching, and praying. The most gruesome and sad part of it was that the people who were related to the miners thought for about three hours that they were all but one alive. Somehow, there was a miscommunication between the rescue crews, but that was only understood after some mine officials had already called familiy members of the trapped miners, and told them that 12 of 13 were alive. After that, the mine officials learned that it was the opposite. 12 of 13 were dead. Instead of telling the people who were at the time celebrating and yelling “Theyre Alive!!!”, they kept the truth to themselves for almost 3 hours. Then they told the people, after the people there had been singing, praying, crying in joy, and after all the news reporters had reported the miners to be alive. Now, after the ugly truth was revealed, sadness, anger, and despair fell upon all present. The families were all angry at the mine officials for giving them false statements. However, there is no reason to not celebrate some, for there was one miracle. Randal McCloy, who was the youngest miner in the accident, was found alive. He was unconscious, had a collapsed lung, and was severely dehydrated, but still he survived. If you wish to read more, please visit a news website and read.

I do however ask this of all members of CDFreaks that read this. Please keep those affected by this event in your thoughts, and if you have them, your prayers. These people are going through a very hard time. They now have to face the fact that their relative that was killed in the mine isnt going to be with them any longer, and they have to deal with that sadness. To anyone out there who was affected by this tradgesy, just know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and I wish you well. And to the sole survivor, congratulations and I hope that you are able to recover fully.

I heard it on the news yesterday…it must be horrible for those left behind, first to get their hopes up to only get them smashed again a few hours later…I cannot even imagine the pain they must be going through.

I hope they find the strength to move on, because, sadly enough, that is the only thing they can do…

at least one comforting thing is most of them knew what was happening and they left notes to their family and friends…it doesn’t make it any easier but at least they have something to hold to…
just makes me mad that certain mine had over 100+ close to 200 saftey violations…and yet those men put their lives on the line day after day just to make a living…

sad sad sad …i do feel for each of those families and the town as a whole…

What’s sad is that the folks at the mine lied to the families in such a way. It would have been better to say nothing than to lie about them being ok, hoping it would somehow be true and then having to say they knew those 12 were dead. That would be a perfect case for the families saying 3 words: class action lawsuit.

God bless all of them