The upcoming 18x TSST SH-S182D/TS-H652 DVD burner

Some new information on Toshiba-Samsung SH-S182D a.k.a. TS-H652.

The drive is a new, refreshed design, not just a firmware-based improvement.

It is going to use a new optical pickup from Sony with a higher-power (27 mW) Sharp laser diode, and a new, faster spindle motor from either Samsung itself or Nidec Japan. Because of the faster motor, power consumption will go up by 2-3 Watts, or about 0.2 A on the 12V line.

This drive is currently promised to be available for sale in June. We’ll see.

DVD burn times are sub-five minutes, so it should beat the current records held by 16x Hitachi-LG Renesas drives by a good 20+ seconds. Its 18x times should also be almost a minute faster than Plextor PX-760A’s 18x times.

I will be buying one of these!

Yay, real innovation, which is rare nowadays, most drives are the same old 16x models with new firmware for 8x or 10x double layer burning and a new name/model number. But there are still some open questions :slight_smile:

• Did Samsung fix the CD laser issues?
  • Is the quality of the burns good?
  • Does it do 12x DVD-RAM? (EDIT: According to Google, it does, and Panasonic and NEC are going to introduce 12x DVD-RAM drives too :clap: )
  • Does this drive scan?

If the answer is yes to at least some of the answers :smiley: then I might buy it too.

They should better fix the problems with their current DVD writers.
A 18x DVD writer? No one really needs that. … … … .

Hm, i like the 163 SATA version more.

Excellent news. Very nice to hear about Sony parts being used in the new drives. I’ll probably be picking one of these up myself.

Samsung drives just ooze quality. :slight_smile:

Whats the difference between this drive and the TS-H652L? My PC came with the suffix L drive. I cant find any infos or firmware for this drive.

Edit: L stands for Lightscribe as this drive supports Lightscribe. but it doesnt support 18X burn; uploaded an updated version of Nero Infotool

What country are you in?

You are right about 16x, maybe the Toshiba half of TSST had second thoughts about 18x.

I live in CA. The PC I got is an HP M7467C media center PC from Costco. I mainly bought it b/c it came with an 21" LCD screen at 1650X1050 1000:1 contrast. This is my first prebuilt PC. It sucks b/c all firmwares are supported only by HP. I had to re-pack the PC and monitor, drove 10 miles to costco and exchange it at costco all because the original BIOS was corrupted. I talked to PH tech support and they will not send me a BIOS to flash. They told me that ONLY HP or authorized repair center can flash the BIOS. They told me to send them the PC. I told them I aint gonna pay $50 shipping just for you to flash the BIOS.
Anyway back to the DVD Drive. I dont use the Samsung much b/c I have an NEC ND4570A. The NEC burns 8X DVD-R TYG02 at 12X and 8X DVD+RW in 7:35. Thats only 25 seconds shy of 12X.
The Samsung burn 16X media in 5:50, NEC at 16X in 6:15. My old NEC ND3500A burns the same TYG02 8X rated at 16X in 5:55-6:00. The 652L is pretty quiet compare to the ND4570A
I miss my 3500 b/c it burns 12X in 6:40 compared to the 652L and 4570A at 7:05-7:10
I loaded the Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.50 with the samsung drive selected but the start button is garyed out. Does this mean this drive doesnt support disc quality scan?

There are also TS-H652S TS-H652D TS-H652L TS-H652A whats the difference between them? I know that L is for lightscribe and A, according to videohelp is the none lightscribe version. S possibly SATA? whats D? that it requires deisel?

lol, hey, that’s the k. :bigsmile:

diesel power(ed)

It is disabled in Nero CD-DVD speed. You’ll have to edit your registry to enable disc scanning with Nero CD/DVD speed. Instructions how to do that can be found in the SH-W162 review thread.
You can also use Kprobe for disc scanning.
Just a note: My SH-W163A is not able to scan CD-media with Kprobe or Nero CD/DVD speed. Scanning DVD-Media works.

Michael

i have an issue with this drive ts-h652L it says it is lightscribe but none of the lightscribe programs sees the drive as being installed

also my-computer shows the drive as a cd-drive instead of the regular dvd-rw

any thoughts
please help

Make sure the Lightscribe Host-Software is installed.

also my-computer shows the drive as a cd-drive instead of the regular dvd-rw

any thoughts
please help

This is only a explorer glitch, m$ would call it feature.
Ignore it, open up Devicemanager and you will see the correct info about your drive.

i installed all software off of the hp and lightscribe websites and nothing would see it

I bought a Mad Dog Megastor 18x from CompUSA.
The sticker on the drive says DVD Writer Model TS-H652D/MDNH F/W=MD00 H/W:A Ver.D October 2006.
I currently have a NEC ND-3500-AG with F/W = 2.TF Besides having the ability to read RAM discs, is this Mad Dog Toshiba Model better than mine or can I give it as a gift for someone? raulyn @ gmail. com

Finally, I found this post. I always remember there was a post saying this sammy will use components that needs more power whenever I see people have PSU issue with this drive, but I just can’t find it.

From agent009:

1. “It is going to use a new optical pickup from Sony with a higher-power (27 mW) Sharp laser diode”

2. “a new, faster spindle motor from either Samsung itself or Nidec Japan. Because of the faster motor, power consumption will go up by 2-3 Watts, or about 0.2 A on the 12V line.”

So, that’s clear why the Samsung SH-S182D (or newer drives) needs a good power supply or more power. Perhaps too, the higher-power Sharp laser diode is the secret weapon that this drive read scratched discs very well… :rolleyes:

Edit: Yeah, found more info from Jan’s post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1550448&postcount=13

My friend has a TS H652 but it’s an OEM to LiteOn 832s with VS0M firmware… Is this the same writer ??

Nope, the Litey 832 is an oldish one.