The ultimate Ultra HD Blu-ray 'friendly' drive list - with recommendation of best

Thanks. FW received and working fine. :slight_smile:

Any chance i could get that firmware too ?

Yep… :bigsmile:

Thanks alot :smiley:

@philwashere, any luck with downgrading the WH14NS40? I just got one from Amazon, also 12/2017 and 1.03 FW. Any pointers to the magic to downgrade would be greatly appreciated!

Read this guide:

If you need help I can do the job for you (like already successfully done for other users like you). :slight_smile:

Here is a link to the cross flasher and firmware, this should hopefully flash it to be an ASUS BW-16D1HT on firmware 3.02, it worked with my WH14NS40 though I was on 1.02 out of the box.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PGAG4-Y6jtEEAFHqXTKdi2iTXAtfImyS

That won’t help him if his drive came with 1.03

@Balthazar2k4 - What FW version do you have on your WH16NS60? The one I ordered should be here tomorrow after waiting a month for it to ship. I’m wondering what version of FW is the good version that works with DeUHD, MakeMKV, etc. Thanks.

Version 1.00. I believe 1.01 broke compatibility. Please keep in mind that the NS60 does not currently work with MakeMKV or AnyDVD.

@Skyray - I haven’t downgraded yet. I believe Mike at MakeMKV has hinted that user-friendly downgrade tools are in the works. As is, in order to do things correctly, I’d have to rip my current drive out of my old HTPC in order to ensure that it’s on a proper SATA port and then make and use a DOS-based bootable thumb drive. It’s doable. I’m just lazy. :slight_smile:

Understood. I have 5 other UHD friendly drives, so I figured it was time to pick up one of these for those hard to read discs using DeUHD. I’m hoping more support can be added for it in MakeMKV. I’m hoping it has 1.00, though I’m doubtful since Fry’s has been sitting on my order for a month. Anyone downgrade this one yet? Would you be willing to dump your 1.00 FW for posterity?

Yay! WH16NS60 has FW 1.00.

Hi there. Is there any way to tell if Asus BW-16D1HT-PRO has very 3.0 firmware before buying?

Drive lable attached.

Many thanks
Z

… also are these friendly drives all able to read triple layer discs (if that’s a thing)

@Z1001 - The drive was manufactured in Oct. 2017, so you’re good. Also, in theory, all drive should be able to read triple-layer discs. In practice, it’s a crapshoot. That Asus drive is, from what I’m told, a mechanical match for some drives by LG. However, the Asus drive does a slightly better job of reading triple-layer discs produced by Sony. The LG drives simply choke and never pick up the discs. The only difference is the firmware. Meanwhile, triple-layers I have from Warner Bros. and from a couple of Japanese distributors play in all drives without a hitch.

@TwinParadox

ASUS appears to be updating their website when it comes to firmware updates for the BW-16D1HT among other drives. It looks like they are re-releasing the UHD friendly breaking firmware versions (ie 3.03 in the case of the BW-16D1HT). Posted release date of February 21, 2018 rather than January 21, 2018 like it was before and the updater is showing a modified date of February rather than January. Hashes differ. Be interesting to see what is really going on with this but it’s beyond my expertise.

I will compare both 3.03 firmwares to see if there are any differences.

Edit:

There exist 2 firmware update zipped files. Both are February 12, 2018 dated. The only difference is that the x86 zipped file is encrypted but firmware file is the 3.03 already released before. Same checksum. :wink:

Thanks… although I am not sure I understand. The ZIP files are fine and I can extract. No password or anything else. The executables are different. So are you saying the firmware within the flasher being encrypted, etc? I am still also left confused as to the purpose of the updated update.

Just for the record for anyone who is interested as to what I’m talking about:

Previous Firmware 3.03 download:

Release date: January 22, 2018
Filename: ASUS_Website_FW_Updater_For_BW_16D1HT (FW_3.03).exe
Modified date: ‎Friday, ‎January ‎19, ‎2018, ‏‎3:02:52 AM
SHA-256 Hash: 1abc23b1c2ed69b6a6b411c5ce21584aab0c5e88a927275edfef2c20b589b919

New Firmware 3.03 download:

Release date: February 21, 2018
Filename: ASUS ODD FW Updater for BW-16D1HT_3.03.exe
Modified date: ‎Sunday, ‎February ‎11, ‎2018, ‏‎9:30:54 PM
SHA-256 Hash: d29b66c0baf0caacfa7e9376a6cd781bc1b83f6a6ed54db23f4bf74e4a6e9888

Theoretically if both firmware have the same checksum then it is the same firmware. Maybe they have decided to start encrypting to prevent tampering.