The ultimate Ultra HD Blu-ray 'friendly' drive list - with recommendation of best

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/the-ultimate-ultra-hd-blu-ray-list-with-recommendation-of-best-drive-83254/

If you are in the market for a so-called Ultra HD Blu-ray friendly drive after the leaked AACS 2.0 Volume Keys, then read on. We’ve compiled a list of all Ultra HD Blu-ray drives, combined the lowest price on all major online retailers in the United States. Also feel free to share places (and prices) of online stores throughout the rest of the world.

Titles Support List
Titles Support List

Europeans better get the BH16NS55,as it’s almost identical as the BH16NS40 with SVC code NS50,and even easier to find…available for around €75,unlike the Amazon $129.69 version.

FWIW, my LG BE16NU50 works great. That said, LG is sneaking out firmware upgrades that close the loophole. If you see a FW update and it’s from Dec. 8 (2017) or so, DO NOT INSTALL IT!!! “Improved BD UHD disc compatibility” is the “Improvement Point” listed in the firmware update guide. It’s a ruse. Apparently, when you install it, you completely lose the ability to read UHD discs. So, if your drive works, stick to it, and maybe consider buying ASAP if you’re interested.

(FYI, my BE16NU50 is at firmware version 1.01. It works fine. 1.02 is the tainted version to avoid at all costs.)

The cheapest of these drives in Germany is the BH16NS55, start at 58€

The Asus starts at 72€.

I´m not sure on which LG-FW the Asus is based, butI never see a FW-update for these Asus-drives

And I wonder why Pioneer is not supported? There widely available, the 209D starts at 56€, the 209E at 57€

I’ve moved the topic now to the DeUHD forum,as I guess there will be more people interested in Ultra HD Blu-ray friendly drives here.

Feel free to post links to online shops with prices of that moment. And of course recommendation on what drive to buy (outside the United States) as some of you already kindly did, thank you!!

And then let’s hope there is no way they can remotely force a firmware install, but so far we’ve never seen that I believe!

FYI, the drive pictured is the older WH16NS40 model which is not UHD friendly.

Ask me how I know. :wink:

The correct one looks like this.

Yep,be sure to choose the correct 1,only revision 2 with the SVC code NS50 will work…

How do you know? :wink:

I’m away for the weekend with the Misses without a laptop.

So only on my mobile, which is a bit of a hassle I found out when writing a newspost on mobile, so I won’t change the image, but else I would. Thanks for letting me know.

How do you distinct between the drives? I can imagine that might be useful for others too!

The LG BH16NS40 with the SVC code NS50 has the M-disc logo on the opening tray instead of at the low left corner,and the ‘eject’ button has a curved line beneath it,just like my 2 BH16NS55’s…

Can’t you downgrade the firmware back to 1.01?
I actually own the BE14NU40, the predecessor from 2014.

Is it not possible to enable UHD-BD on older BD drives via firmware hack?

Ironically, when I originally bought my WH16NS40 a few years ago I went out of my way to find one with the original metallic face plate because I thought it looked better. At the time there was no distinction made between them, and UHD wasn’t really a thing.

Fast forward to today, and here I am re-ordering the newer (uglier) version. :slight_smile:

@TL7 - Maybe? There’s probably a flag somewhere in the firmware that tells it to not downgrade. If you can flip the bit or otherwise trick the firmware, you can probably downgrade. How do you do that? Beats me!

I now have 2 x LG BH16NS55 and they have a SVC Code of NS55 & FW of 1.02 which work. For Australian users they are A$99 at Scorptec. Pic attached of the sticker.

Hello. I’m thinking a list of drives with known firmwares (good and bad) would be a good idea, especially now that LG is trying to trick people into downgrading by upgrading, so to speak. Here’s what I have. This list also covers certified drives, which I suppose could get patched at some point to defeat DeUHD or future tools.

Note that, as of Dec. 2017, LG started manufacturing drives containing bad firmware. The drives started showing up in stores the following month. It may be necessary to either find a brick-and-mortar shop (e.g., Fry’s or Micro Center) and inspect the stock they have, or use some techno-black magic to downgrade the firmware on drives with bad factory-installed firmware. Patched Asus drives haven’t shown up as of Jan. 2018 but it’s likely they’ll start to show up as of Feb/Mar 2018. If you receive such a drive, look up the “DOSFlash” recovery method. You’ll need to flash the firmware and laser calibration data but your drive will be successfully downgraded.

CERTIFIED (DeUHD)
Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 - BU10 is good (including the 1.02 FW update), BU11 is bad and has been shipping from retailers since at least the beginning of 2018
LG BP60NB10 - 1.00 is good?
LG BU40N - 1.01 is probably good, and 1.02 is probably bad
LG BU50N - 1.00 is good?
LG WH16NS60 - 1.00 is good, N1.01 is bad

FRIENDLY (VUK usage via libaacs/MakeMKV/AnyDVD HD/etc., and MakeMKV’s “hashed key” format)
Asus BW-12B1ST (Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - NOT FRIENDLY AFTER ALL (Confirmed here to be incorrectly listed elsewhere.)
Asus BC-12D2HT (Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - All firmware is good?
Asus BW-16D1H-U A201 (Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - All firmware is good?
Asus BW-16D1HT (Variant 1? - Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - 1.01 is bad (Thanks to @Ravenhearst)
Asus BW-16D1HT (Variant 2? - Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - 3.00, 3.01, and 3.02 are all good, 3.03 is reportedly bad
Asus BW-16D1HT-PRO (Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - 3.00 is good (Thanks to @Pans)
LG BE16NU50 - 1.01 is good, 1.02 is bad
LG BH16NS40 (SVC code NS50) - 1.02 is probably good, with 1.03 reportedly having a 2014 version that works while the 2017 version is bad.
LG BH16NS55 - 1.02 is good and 1.03 is probably bad (Thanks to @jmone1 and @roadworker)
LG BU30N - Can’t find support page, so maybe all versions are good???
LG WH14NS40 (SVC code NS50) - N1.02 is good and N1.03 is bad (Drive confirmed to work despite not being on Arusoft’s drive list.)
LG WH16NS40 (SVC code NS50) - 1.02 is good and 1.03 is bad (Thanks to @monte1)
LG WH16NS58 - N1.V1 is probably good, N1.V2 is probably bad.

Decrypt UHD-BD... but from a external 5.25" enclosure
AACS 2.0 Volume Keys FAQ

1.02 is the latest for WH16NS40 as 1.03 breaks UHD disc readability.

Hola , me he comprado la unidad Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 , pero me viene con firmware BU10, alguien sabe como podria cambiarlo al 1,02
gracias

Hello, I have bought me the unit Buffalo BRUHD-PU3, but it me comes with firmware BU10, someone it can podria change like to the 1,02 thank you

At least from v 1.00 up to 1.02 is working…

ASUS BW16D1HT is on sale at newegg fro $59 after rebate in the usa…