The Ultimate RealDVD Thread

Realnetworks (yeah from the bloated real player) has launched RealDVD, which allows you to rip DVD’s to the computer and well, read this:

RealNetworks publicly launched RealDVD, a new program that makes it possible for PC owners to easily rip their DVDs to a computer with digital rights management (DRM) security included.

It will typically take between 10 to 40 minutes to rip anywhere from four-to-eight GB of data, and users have the ability to watch the movie as it’s ripping. Each ripped DVD is encrypted so it cannot be inadvertently shared or stolen by others. In addition, it’s possible to save the movie to a portable HDD or USB key, then watch it on up to five other computers that have RealDVD installed.

The regular DRM from the DVD and Real’s additional level of DRM will make it more difficult for people to rip DVDs and try and put them on a peer-to-peer network.

I haven’t tried it and I was wondering if anyone else did here and wants to share some experiences?

Really the Ultimate…I will pass…its probably another imitation in my view like Clone4 or something like that-claiming it was like Slysoft CloneCD…but was not. They stole alot of users money but had little to show for it. For my money it’s Slysoft and Dvdfab plat. Those are two of best paid programs I seen in the backup dvd software market.

The whole business model hangs by a slender thread. Real is basing this on a court case that was decided in favor of Kaleidescape, which makes home media servers. The Kaleidescape decision is being appealed by the DVD Copy Control Association by the way, and they are also suing Real now.

Real has filed their own suit asking for a declaratory judgement upholding the legality of their system, but with the DVD CCA suing them, I doubt that goes through.

If the various members of the DVD CCA ever manage to agree on changes to their basic licensing agreement the whole house of cards that is RealDVD and Kaleidoscope Systems could come crashing down. The DVD CCA are claiming any system that plays back copy protected movies has to have access to the physical disks, though it is not explicitly stated so in their current license. If they can ever quit their squabbling long enough to amend that license, the game is over.

The bigger question is why Real thinks they can get through this unscathed.

If the whole thing lasts long enough, maybe Slysoft will be so obliging as to get rid of the additional DRM that Real is putting on the copies. :slight_smile:

From what I have read, its a good thing but the downside is the download time. Its sort of like a Blockbuster online where you can choose a movie and download it and watch it. I would like to know what format the download is. I also have read that the movie studios are against this, so it might not last long. We will just have to wait and see.