The Truth About 2K, 4K and The Future of Pixels

vbimport

John Galt: “Pixel” is an unfortunate term, because it has been hijacked.

Historically, 2K and 4K referred to the output of a line array scanner scanning film, so that for each frame scanned at 4K, you wind up with four thousand red pixels, four thousand green and four thousand blue.

Link: http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-truth-about-2k-4k-the-future-of-pixels

:cool::cool:

I definitely agree with the John Galt in the article that it would be much better to double the frame rate instead of the resolution.

A few years ago, I came across an FFDShow script that simulates 100Hz/120Hz TVs by doubling the frame rate and interpolating the “in-between” frames, which I’ve applied. As Media Player Classic goes FFDShow, to my eyes 1080p video looks a lot clearer (and obviously smoother) played in Media Player Classic than Windows Media Player (or VLC.) I’m sure if the video was shot in double the frame rate, it would look even sharper than with every second frame interpolated. However, within seconds of starting playback, I know straight away whether I’ve started playback in the wrong media player.

Another way to think of it - Just imagine what a heavy gamer would think if they bought a shiny new 4K monitor and graphics card only to discover that the frame rate on both are locked at 24 frames per second. :eek: