The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

Thanks, Albert.
It’s strange, for me anyway, all these different ‘factorynumber’ or ‘codes’. Is it possible it has something to do with the country in which they are sold? When I google with the numbers J-CDR80WPB-SK-B-OS I find some results in French and when I google with numbers like J-CDR80WPPA100S I see a couple of German-Swiss sites. Strange. Why are there no universal numbers, the same anywhere? It would be so much clearer and easier!

Yeah, it’s possibly that they’re codes dependent upon retailer & locale, instead of worldwide model numbers you’d hope for.

Given codes reflect variances in packaging, disc count per package, features (printable or not, type of disc surface, color of surface, etc), it’s probably why things are are different from retailer to retailer. Different orders from different retailers, maybe.

I just purchased a 100 spindle of Taiyo Yuden blank CD-R (yes, I still burn CD-R). These were marked Made in Japan and for Professional Use. The Part # is J-CDR-WPY-SB. When I look at it with Opti Drive Control, the MID is 97m24s01f. I have been using these TY CD-R for a long time with great success.

I’d guess the model numbers will be manufacturing-plant related. That would be a reason for TY to track - they don’t track retailers - they sell to distributors and distrib’s worry about retailers.

Sony used to sell 30 packs of Taiyo Yuden CDs, they were a bit expensive but in a pinch I used to buy them at my local Walgreens. Since then I have been buying my Taiyo Yuden CDs at Rima.com, 100 lasts me years. :wink:

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2711965]I just purchased a 100 spindle of Taiyo Yuden blank CD-R (yes, I still burn CD-R). These were marked Made in Japan and for Professional Use. The Part # is J-CDR-WPY-SB. When I look at it with Opti Drive Control, the MID is 97m24s01f. I have been using these TY CD-R for a long time with great success.[/QUOTE]
Just a question: when I look at the TY-CD’s as offered by Nierle I see exactly the same MID.
Would that be a more reliable (universal) code than those ‘factorynumbers’?

[QUOTE=HankPiano;2712018]Just a question: when I look at the TY-CD’s as offered by Nierle I see exactly the same MID.
Would that be a more reliable (universal) code than those ‘factorynumbers’?[/QUOTE]

Yes, because that is actually the DISC model. If you consistently get the same disc model, and are sure it’s not a batch of value discs, then you have a great chance of getting discs like ones you’ve ised previously, at least for TY media.

Hi All,

I am located in Australia. I can only see two places, i would never trust ebay for TY.

The codes on PCX doesnt give up many hits on ebay, but i got my old Thats RX from them some years ago or maybe it was the other store JPL displays. Both the discs are blank and not labelled like my old ones.

JPL displays TY

jcx ty

MFR # J-CDR80WPP-SK-F

I have a question about TY CDs.
Is this statement correct:
Only Taiyo Yuden produced the CD blank in matt on the inside.
All other manufacturers make this area transparent.

Symbolic

White from the forum someone more about this thesis?
@pepst or
@terminalvelocd

I have seen fake Taiyo Yudens made with a frosted centre hub, but not to the same design and with a different type of dye (lighter in colour).

If I remember correctly, some (pseudo)cyanine Lead Data and Princo CD-Rs were made with a frosted centre hub but you would be extremely lucky to find them nowadays.
And you would be even more lucky to find any fake TY CD-Rs. The only ones that I know about were produced more than 15 years ago by CDA Datenträger Albrechts GmbH or Customer Pressing Oosterhout.

Thanks.
I’m very interested on clear TY criteria,
"is this CD from TY or not,"
the information can be very helpful.

You got me. :rofl: