The Taiyo Yuden FAQ

vbimport

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

:frowning:

Hi,
can someone tell me how to understand if a dvd Taiyo is Professional or Value from the pictures that I attached?

Thanks in advance

So far i did not see any blank dvd media id of TY in Malaysia. Thats so sad. but still luckily Mitshubishi media are not that hard to find, but still paying premium for the quality of the disc

[QUOTE=joshuatly;2648575]So far i did not see any blank dvd media id of TY in Malaysia. Thats so sad. but still luckily Mitshubishi media are not that hard to find, but still paying premium for the quality of the disc[/QUOTE]

Have you tried to check if you can import some from Singapore? Not sure how much extra it would cost, but it would be worth checking for sure :)!

I’m in the market for BD-R media and am seriously considering the JVC TY LTH BD-R media listed here.

http://www.shop4tech.com/item10267.html

http://www.shop4tech.com/item10086.html

I’m not too familiar with LTH media.
However, I trust the TY name and can get 100 of these discs for $92 after a 23% off code [ZZ23].

What does the forum think of these TY BD-R discs?

Thank You,

Milan

I would buy them but the shipping costs to my location would kill any sense…

Has anyone done a comparison of the current JVC 80 minute CD-R T-Y discs versus the older 74 minute T-Y discs (in this case when they were labeled as TDK)? I was finally running low on my old 74 minute TDK T-Ys and I bought the JVC branded 80 minute current production discs. The older TDKs had a matt top finish; the JVCs are mirror top. I’m getting about 3 times the number of C1 errors on these newer discs compared to the TDKs. Still relatively low, but my trusty old TDKs would maybe produce 6-700 C1 errors at worst.

I compared old (~12 years) TY 80 min blanks to new JVC/TY 80 min blanks and they’re similar with the edge to the new ones.

New vs. Old

Hmm, what recording speed do you normally use? My results appear to be just the opposite, but my older T-Ys are the 74 minute jobs.

Any possibility that the upper surface finish (mirror, or label ready white or matt) has an impact of results?

I’ve been doing a lot of testing recently on various burners at various speeds with various media. I can’t really give you a speed I normally use. Outside of the testing I’ve been doing I don’t burn many CDs.

Any possibility that the upper surface finish (mirror, or label ready white or matte) has an impact of results?

I would think that it doesn’t, but I don’t really know for sure.

That’s a matter of physics. Quality control’s important with surface finish on the top side of fast-rotating recordable disc. Experiment with some cheap unused discs with some sheets of toilet paper attached unevenly, but it can be dangerous.

Which are considered to be the best burners for TY03 or TY02?

[QUOTE=Lebowsky;2710436]Which are considered to be the best burners for TY03 or TY02?[/QUOTE]

+R (YUDEN000 T02/YUDEN000 T03) or -R (TYG02/TYG03)?

Few drives do a poor job of burning any of the TY media… it’s more a question of what is available to you.

(That said, older Pioneer drives and some LG drives do a good job with the discs–if your drive is consistently good. Many drives from LiteOn and Samsung can do equally as well.)

Only -R TYG03/02 is available… typed too fast, sorry.

Currently have an Optiarc 7260S, was wondering if I should hunt down another drive solely for burning, even used on ebay, as I have a quite few backups to do.

[QUOTE=Lebowsky;2710488]Only -R TYG03/02 is available… typed too fast, sorry.

Currently have an Optiarc 7260S, was wondering if I should hunt down another drive solely for burning, even used on ebay, as I have a quite few backups to do.[/QUOTE]

Probably nothing better for that than maybe Pioneer DVR-212/215/216/217 drives, or the older Optiarc 7240S or 7200S/7201S/7203S. Those might make slightly prettier burns, but the 7260S isn’t a slouch. :slight_smile: Don’t worry about getting a new drive unless you need to replace your current one, or just want a backup on hand. :wink:

Thanks! Those Pioneers are very difficult to find, or very expensive. I’ll stick with my 7260S for burning!

If this question has come along earlier I apologize. Anyway, I couldn’t find it. I’m a bit confused about the so-called factorynumbers of TY printable CD’s as I see them on this Nierle site.

There are CD’s with the number J-CDR80WPB-SK-B, other CD’s, more expensive, have the number J-CDR80WPB-SK, without that B and finally I see CD’s with the number J-CDR80WPB-SK-OS, which are the most expensive ones. Does this mean the most expensive one is also the best one? They are all just white, not thermal of silver.

I use the CD’s only for classical music, so quality AND longevity are important; if the most expensive one really is the best one I probably will buy it but I’m not sure about it. What exactly are the differences and are they important?

Hank, let me further muddy the waters by mentioning that some burner drives produce better results than other drives on certain blanks.

So, it’s not only the Blank, but how the Burner uses the blank.

After a while, I just put my finger between my lips and end up "buh buh buh"ing along.

In an ideal world, you might get two or three samples of each candidate disk, make a burn and then use a drive to scan for quality. (Your burner drive might be a good scanner, or it might not.) Or perhaps you can buy minimum counts - a 10-pack?

(And even when I’ve had to buy 50-paks, well, I can always find a use for disk blanks. If they’re not “The Best”, ultimately, they might still make great 2nd-or-3rd copy backups.)

The scans can be used to give you the “best choice” based on your burner’s use of the available media.

Then, once you’ve got that all figured out…

Here comes a Parts Number Change! Buh-buh-buh…

Well, thanks, ChristineBCW, but you see, I’m a simple musician, using these CD’s for my work and getting confused when confronted with complicated tests or technics. Isn’t there really a simple answer to my question?

I have two Sony Optiarc AD-7220S burners in my desktop-PC, they have served me already 5 years without any trouble, regardless of which blank media I have been using. But lately I had some Verbatim-CD’s which were not readable anymore after a couple of 4 years, the TY-CD’s have always remained perfect, so I thought it would be wise to buy them again. Hence my question :slight_smile:

There’s probably no difference in longevity/quality between the cheapest and most expensive TY you mentioned, other than type of printing surface and rated speed. As long as they are not advertised as “Value” TY, then you should be fine. This assumes your Optiarc (really a LiteOn) is a good CD burner, but you say it’s worked for some years now, so that shouldn’t be a problem.